Returning to crabbing!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
jaelynn

Returning to crabbing!

Post by jaelynn » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi there!I used to be super into hermit crabs, and when I was a young teenager I used to lurk this forum for a lot of my information on crabs! But I figured this time around, I would actually participate in discussion! So hello, I'm Jamie and I'm 20 years old and from Canada :)

I haven't owned crabs since high school :( . The apartment I lived in the past two years had a very strict no animals of any kind rule, but I moved in September to a new apartment complex with completely different set of rules! I added an adorable shih-poo puppy to my ranks in mid-september, and am now ready to add some hermit crabs!

I have yet to buy any yet, because I want to get the tank all set up again first! I currently have a 20g from when I used to crab, and am currently looking for some tank-inspo because I want to make it really pretty (and possibly with a really cool theme?). I figured that I'd come back to this site and re-educate myself on everything crabby and get inspired!

I plan on tackling the tank this weekend, and maybe even pick up some crabs! I'm very very excited!
Mom to 2 Straws, 2 PP's, 1 turtle, 1 shih-poo puppy, and 1 guinea pig

hermitcrab24

Re: Returning to crabbing!

Post by hermitcrab24 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:34 pm

Hello!
Welcome to the HCA!! :)

I'm very excited that you are excited about hermit crabs :D

Definitely let us know if we can help you with anything

Careful, hermit crabs are easy to become addicted to :wink:

Topic author
jaelynn

Post by jaelynn » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:38 am

Thank you!

Oh, I think I'm already addicted and I haven't actually started yet! I'm already looking into bigger tanks :hlol:

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:03 am

Welcome! I look forward to your future posts and crabitat pics. :D

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:21 am

One of the things that I have heard on this site repeatedly is that most crabbers, if they would have originally known how much they would love crabbie, they would have started with a much larger tank. Sounds like you already know that you are serious about this so my advice...

GET THE BIGGEST TANK YOU CAN

Of course, given your situation and $ :D
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

lessthansign3

Post by lessthansign3 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Congrats! :D I'm sure your crabs will be well loved. And now is time for the fun part - decorating the 'tat! Get creative, create second levels, make moss pits, go all out! Have fun with it :crabbigsmile:

Knibitz
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Knibitz » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:30 pm

Welcome back!!
Sounds like my story! Had hermies as a teen but had to give them up when I went to college but was able to come back once I got an apartment ^.^
7 PPs: Vinny, Thomas, Tink, Theo, Thumbelina, Fudge, and Midge
1 E: Noel

Topic author
jaelynn

Post by jaelynn » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Thanks everybody! I think as a starter I'm just going to set up my old tank. I have the shower caddies and a lot of stuff for second levels. I'm keeping an eye out on kijiji for cheap tanks though. Ideally I'd love a 40g or 55g, but I'm not sure that is in the budget as I'm still a very broke university student :shock:

I'm still thinking of maybe doing some sort of cool themed tank, but I'm not sure what. I originally was going to do some sort of Game of Thrones theme, but decided that unless I wanted everybody dead that it wouldn't be a good plan :hlol: I'm currently thinking about a fairy tale, or alice in wonderland theme though! Pretty teacups, and lots of beautiful plants and climbing stuff!

Topic author
jaelynn

Post by jaelynn » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:48 pm

Knibitz wrote:Welcome back!!
Sounds like my story! Had hermies as a teen but had to give them up when I went to college but was able to come back once I got an apartment ^.^
I'm glad to see that somebody shares my story! Once a crabber always a crabber, I suppose? :o

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:21 pm

jaelynn wrote:Thanks everybody! I think as a starter I'm just going to set up my old tank. I have the shower caddies and a lot of stuff for second levels. I'm keeping an eye out on kijiji for cheap tanks though. Ideally I'd love a 40g or 55g, but I'm not sure that is in the budget as I'm still a very broke university student :shock:

I'm still thinking of maybe doing some sort of cool themed tank, but I'm not sure what. I originally was going to do some sort of Game of Thrones theme, but decided that unless I wanted everybody dead that it wouldn't be a good plan :hlol: I'm currently thinking about a fairy tale, or alice in wonderland theme though! Pretty teacups, and lots of beautiful plants and climbing stuff!
If you do this, are you going to stick to the theme for names for the crabbies? That would be so cute!!!

For Alice in Wonderland maybe laminate and silicon together some playing cards to constuct something...
50 PPs, 1 E

Topic author
jaelynn

Post by jaelynn » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:21 am

I'm thinking I would! I just have to pick a theme with lots of names! The problem with the Alice in Wonderland, is my options are pretty limited unless I want to name a crab "the cheshire cat" or "mad hatter" :shock:

I love the card idea!

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:27 am

I don't know, check out this link...I think you could have fun with it....

http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/school/char1.html
50 PPs, 1 E

Topic author
jaelynn

Post by jaelynn » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:59 pm

Ou, I think I could.
I'll have to give it a go! I think i'm going to start working on the tank either Thursday or Friday, and then I'm thinking Saturday I'm going to go out and buy a couple of crabs! Today I was at the petstore with my boyfriend, and absolutely fell in love with this adorable small purple pincher, and I'm hoping that it will still be there next weekend! They had a couple of really great looking ones!

I'm very very excited! Does anybody have any other theme ideas? I'm thinking I may make a separate thread for that!