Week 3

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

YYWW

Re: Week 3

Post by YYWW » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:22 pm

AcerCrab wrote:Brushing their hairy legs, sounds like winter in the north.
eheheh!!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
AcerCrab

Post by AcerCrab » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:46 pm

None of the crabs are back up yet. I bought a little crab figurine from the fish section at Walmart and he is sitting on the hidyhut. Now a smiling face in the middle of the Crabitat. If he sees his shadow does that mean 6 more weeks of winter?
Mum to 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 rats and 6 hermies in our CrabiFrat (a fraternity of little greek crabs wearing togas).

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:26 am

I think those 6 weeks already got tacked on

Crabbers unite!!!

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:20 am

YYWW wrote:I think those 6 weeks already got tacked on Image

Crabbers unite!!!
I think here in the USA there's tons of states in the central east area getting 7+ feet... FEET... of snow. While here in the west it gets windy sometimes lol! But I betchya that storms gunna hit us in the west when it's supposed to be spring :/

Mommy of 11 PP babies:
Poseidon (Sid), Octavius, Matty, Junior, Aries, Kaylee, Turbo, Adrian, Pepper, Flower and Winifred.
-

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:34 am

I am in Indiana. We have 1 -2 inches on the ground right nkw. The most so far here where big am has been 3-4 and that is being generous. I hate the cold this year but it has meant less snow by a lot
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:44 am

AcerCrab wrote:We already have a family with 2 beagles, 2 cats, 2 rats and have now ventured in the world of Hermies. Before adopting our 3 little PPs I have spends hours and hours reading this fantastic site and getting the Crabitat ready. Our 3 new family members came home and 2 promptly filled up at the water bowl and then went under. Our smallest, Hermes (my son has planned to name them all after Greek Gods) has dug in each day and come up at night to eat and party. We are hoping our other 2 will so rejoin us so we can get to know them and pick out their names.
All of mine are greek gods and goddesses. Oh and greek heros. (Well almost all of them) I have 28 in total. I think I have like 5 that aren't greek names. One is the Norse God Thor though. Does that count? Lol This is the center of my tank as well. Image Then these are how the crabs get into their cycled pools. Image

Yay greek theme!!!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:24 am

AcerCrab wrote:We already have a family with 2 beagles, 2 cats, 2 rats and have now ventured in the world of Hermies.
A pair of everything. :D For a while, we were ending up with things in threes. :lol:
kornchaser wrote:
I think here in the USA there's tons of states in the central east area getting 7+ feet... FEET... of snow. While here in the west it gets windy sometimes lol!
We have a few inches here. Everyone freaks out about it. I'm always confused when they act like it shouldn't be happening. :lol: I mean when we do get snow, it's usually Jan-Feb. But every year they act surprised. :lol:

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Kelly - I have the mini set of those that I used with my bettas a decade ago. :) I always loved the Roman decor!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:59 pm

AcerCrab wrote:None of the crabs are back up yet. I bought a little crab figurine from the fish section at Walmart and he is sitting on the hidyhut. Now a smiling face in the middle of the Crabitat. If he sees his shadow does that mean 6 more weeks of winter?
How's the crabs doing?

Mommy of 11 PP babies:
Poseidon (Sid), Octavius, Matty, Junior, Aries, Kaylee, Turbo, Adrian, Pepper, Flower and Winifred.
-

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:19 pm

wodesorel wrote:Kelly - I have the mini set of those that I used with my bettas a decade ago. :) I always loved the Roman decor!
My husband and I both love it. it's nice to find others that do too. :)

Topic author
AcerCrab

Post by AcerCrab » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:48 pm

my son has named all the crabs after Greek Gods. Artemis and Appolo (the largest 2 have been down for 6 weeks+, Hermes has been down for about 5, Poseideon and Zeus have been down for about 3 weeks and finally this morning I found a pile of moved sand and that someone had been tossing around shells in the shell store. Who did I see but part of Zeus' shell. He the tiniest of the crabs. Hopefully he is up for a while and just doing his daytime hide and seek.
Mum to 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 rats and 6 hermies in our CrabiFrat (a fraternity of little greek crabs wearing togas).

Topic author
AcerCrab

Post by AcerCrab » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:30 pm

It has now been 11 weeks we have had crabs. 2 crabs went down on day 2 and haven't been seen since. 1 crab stayed up for about 2 weeks and then went down. We got the last 2 crabs 8 weeks ago. One stayed up for a week and went down and then went down. The last one went down for 3 weeks and then came up and visits each night. I know the 3 who stayed up for a bit changed shells. I have about 8" of playsand/ee at sandcastle consistency. There is no smell. The biggest ones were in pingpong ball sized shells. I am getting concerned and Zeus seems to be getting lonely. This morning I thought that one of the other crabs was up but Zeus had just put a shell in the food dish hole side down. All the rest of the shells in the shell pile were opening up. When do you give up that they are still alive and go buy a new friend for your crab?

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:02 pm

AcerCrab wrote:It has now been 11 weeks we have had crabs. 2 crabs went down on day 2 and haven't been seen since. 1 crab stayed up for about 2 weeks and then went down. We got the last 2 crabs 8 weeks ago. One stayed up for a week and went down and then went down. The last one went down for 3 weeks and then came up and visits each night. I know the 3 who stayed up for a bit changed shells. I have about 8" of playsand/ee at sandcastle consistency. There is no smell. The biggest ones were in pingpong ball sized shells. I am getting concerned and Zeus seems to be getting lonely. This morning I thought that one of the other crabs was up but Zeus had just put a shell in the food dish hole side down. All the rest of the shells in the shell pile were opening up. When do you give up that they are still alive and go buy a new friend for your crab?
I don't give up hope until I find their empty shell underground...I can think they are gone but until I have proof I have hope. If you have room in your tank with the crabs you have, including your crabs underground I say go ahead and add to your crab family. :)

Topic author
AcerCrab

Post by AcerCrab » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:47 pm

Poisedon must have realized Zeus was lonely because he was up digging around and flipping shells last night with his bud. Now if only the first 3 would come up I would stop worrying.

Topic author
AcerCrab

Post by AcerCrab » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:09 pm

One of the first crabs came up after being down for over2 months. So happy to see him up partying in the CrabiFrat. We drove up north to adopt a little guy tonight who had lost his buddy a couple of years ago. He is currently in ISO so once he has had a molt he will be in partying with the rest of the Frat.