New Crabs on the Block!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
cRABB3R&w[]FE

New Crabs on the Block!

Post by cRABB3R&w[]FE » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:17 pm

Hello all, cRABB3R&w[]FE here and we are from the pacific northwest in SW Washington.

My Wife and I have learned so much from this forum and we are glad that we found the proper way to take care of our hardshelled friends.

We just reorganized our Crabitat trying to give our three crabs more entertainment, let us know what you think :banana: :cheer: :clap:

ShellShop, still planning on packing more shells in there

Top Down View

Water DIshes SW/FW on the left, Sleeping coconut on the right and a look down the ramp to the lower level.

Front View, Humidity is low because of having the tank open and working. but normally 70+

Hagrid and Claus checking out the new crabitat up top, Our third (UnNamed) decided to check out the basement first... :crabbigsmile:

Our Crabs dont really like having their picture taken it seems, or im a bad photographer one or the two but i will get some pictues up next.

Thanks for Coming by and hello All, oh and sorry for the dirty glass i cleaned it after i took the pictures :roll:

Topic author
cRABB3R&w[]FE

Re: New Crabs on the Block!

Post by cRABB3R&w[]FE » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Introducing our largest crabby, the Mrs. and I are novices and have a really hard time identifying species. we think we have three PP but please let us know if someone can tell species on our crabs :D

Hagrid

At First we thought that shell was so big that he would not be able to do anything in it, but he can climb all over the cage upside down and right side up, but i dont know how well he can dig still but his personality is a surface crab/pile climber so its been ok.

Topic author
cRABB3R&w[]FE

Post by cRABB3R&w[]FE » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Our Hermit Crab that was the first to molt with us, it was very nerve racking but Christmas Day Claus Decided to resurface. Again we think PP but we are no good at species...

BTW Claus is super shy so its hard to get pictures especially

Claus
Claus and Hagrid

Topic author
cRABB3R&w[]FE

Post by cRABB3R&w[]FE » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:44 pm

Our last what we believe to be PP, let us know what you think?

this one is also a super active surface climber so some better pictures will be coming soon

Unnamed

Momadopolis

Post by Momadopolis » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:18 pm

Very cute crabs! All I have are pp so I'm not sure.
18 PP..Doc, Ollie (Elephant), 8 Ball, Squidward, Plankton, Jägerbomb, Al Capone, Gremlin, Lila, Prozac, Paxil, Rufus, King Henry VIII, Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley.
3 E's..
Oh, and 3 kids and a Husband.

RIP Krabby Patty and Baby

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:38 pm

They look to all be PP.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Topic author
cRABB3R&w[]FE

Post by cRABB3R&w[]FE » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:45 pm

Thank you, we think they are pretty darn cute too and thank you for letting us know that they are PP!

Cumba

Post by Cumba » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:24 pm

Hagrid! That has to be the cutest hermit name EVER.

* hyperventilation*

Okay... I am a Harry Potter nerd.

Topic author
cRABB3R&w[]FE

Post by cRABB3R&w[]FE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:09 pm

We liked it right away too, he did however switch back to his old turbo and it is a ton smaller than that clunky thing he was wearing so he isn't looking nearly as big as before lol

Topic author
cRABB3R&w[]FE

Post by cRABB3R&w[]FE » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:33 am

Went in a Petco today, and i found two little tiny PP in painted shells non the less that i ended up buying....

I did not plan on buying a single crab.....

BUT there was this big territorial PP that was chasing a little one missing his little claw Off from the water dish... I felt really bad for the little guy and assuming that it was the big crab in the tank that took off the little guys arm (It was right between the food and water dish) i bought him to put in my old tank and i bought the other tiny crab out of the tank so all the other crabs in the tank at the petco were the same size...

Hope he makes it, i have not got any pictures of him because i want him to destress first, but the other one is super cocky and looking for trouble right away!

I put lots of calcium, protein and water in the old 10 gallon tank with the two new ones, i just switched into a new tank so it was still set up perfect and ready for them :D

its strange too, they are in very large shells for their size, makes me wonder if they were forced into these somehow?

Topic author
cRABB3R&w[]FE

Post by cRABB3R&w[]FE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:53 pm

So here is the little white shelled one today in the main tank molted and welcomed by the crabby family, she seems to be taking a liking to the king of the tank hagrid, seems to be the only one sassy enough to put him in his place lol

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Topic author
cRABB3R&w[]FE

Post by cRABB3R&w[]FE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:05 pm

And here is the little one that I got at the same time as the white shelled one, it may have taken a little longer but she is all adjusted and happily becoming a member of the crab pile. She is still a little shy but she has regrown her little pincher that was dropped or ripped off at the pet store. And it is really cute one of my older crabs Oxnard I'm pretty sure has a crush on her because he follows and watches her but never is aggressive. And he will stand in-between her and other crabs if she is eating or drinking like a little protector.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:10 pm

Her BP is undersized - likely has been regrown recently. She should start looking more normal in a couple of molts as it slowly gets back to where it should be. That may be why it seems like she was in a too big shell - her claw is tiny but her bum is not!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
cRABB3R&w[]FE

Post by cRABB3R&w[]FE » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:03 am

You think so wode? they have both molted with me at least once if not twice each, I think the pictures are just being deceiving, they both have just teeny tiny bodies. But that being said they are both by far in larger shells for their size than any of my other crabs, and to be honest I have not seen either of their tails yet.

I'll have to keep a close eye on her after her next molt, and see if her pitchers grow more than usual?