New Aussies...

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

cRABB3R&w[]FE

Re: New Aussies...

Post by cRABB3R&w[]FE » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:01 pm

Hey crabber85 do you by chance have any papers on any species of crabs changing genders, I read the one that wode referenced a couple months ago that was done on wild ruggies, indos, and blues.

It is just something that interests me and I think I have even witnessed it possibly in my colony.

Or if anyone else has any documents on invertebrates reproductive cycle or basically anything you think is worth reading...

I'm a huge dork so don't hold back lol...

Sorry for the thread jack JJ, I do really like the periodic table idea tho :banana:

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:21 pm

@cRABB3R&w[]FE, I was only able to find the article that I gave the link to earlier and the other was a copy of the same article on the Cambridge university website, I couldn't find anything else though. :(
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Interesting read Crabber85. I do wonder if aussies can change genders (since there's no proof that Indos/Blues can) but aussies have similar characteristics to ruggies that it wouldn't surprise me. :)

cRABB3R&w[]FE I know what you mean, it would be interesting to check the gender of one's colony and then the following year check it again and note the difference! :)
(PS. i don't mind about the hijacking... I've hijacked plenty of threads plus I enjoy a healthy discussion ;) )
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:34 pm

@aussieJJDude, from my understanding all species of the family class Coenobitidae/Coenobitadae are capable of changing gender based on the population bias of females to males as this same characteristic is also seen in most other crustaceans.

Just because it hasn't been seen yet in other land hermit crab species doesn't mean it isn't happening in isolated events. :D

I'd love to see some actual studies done on the other hermit crab species not mentioned in the article just to see if my thinking is correct. :crabbigsmile:
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:31 pm

aussieJJDude wrote: - Magnaturals: can they be placed on top of a UTH? I was worried about the magnets interfering with the UTH...
No problem with putting the Magnaturals over a heating pad. I've had that arrangement going for quite a while and everything is good.

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:18 pm

sugarselections wrote:No problem with putting the Magnaturals over a heating pad. I've had that arrangement going for quite a while and everything is good.
:bigkiss: Thank you so much, now off to re-arrange! :) Couldn't find anything on the internet about it.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Bonk

Post by Bonk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:32 am

Sorry for the late reply Aussie, but how awesome is it to get back into crabbing! You *certainly weren't gone that long :lol:

Edit to Add: I have looked at that tank SO many times on YouTube - can't believe you got it! Looks awesome.
Last edited by Bonk on Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a 160L (40G) with 10 Australian hermits: Salvatore, Gillana, Polly 13/10/13; Cadet 25/08/14; Boho 5/09/15; Twinkie, Egg 27/09/15; Gumnut, Zipper, Rainbow 5/10/15.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:53 am

Of course not. He couldn't stay away! We love him for it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above