Adopted 6 new crabs today

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
rainbow_crab

Adopted 6 new crabs today

Post by rainbow_crab » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:25 pm

So I found someone on Craigslist that wanted to rehome her sons crabs. He mother in law got them for him, he is two so can't really take care of anything. And my cousins friend also wanted to rehome her crabs. Picked both sets of three up today. The lady gave me a five gallon and a ten gallon tank to go with them. She had been keeping them in the five gallon since she had no lid for the ten gallon. One medium, one small, and one tiny crab. All were purple pincers. She had started to research them and realized they needed much more then she had thought. Drove an hour and a half to get them. Then my cousins friend got 8 crabs and 5 died in her care with only having them for 3 months. My cousin knew I am in love with crabs and would give them a good home so she convinced her friend to send them my way. Picked them up in a Tupperware container, 2 pps small, and one e small. The e had a large hole in his shell but quickly changed when I put new options in front of him. Got all the crabs home, bathed them, put them in the ten gallon ISO I set up for them. Gave them plenty of new shells to pick from. 4 have already switched. I put some coconut, shrimp, squid, and cuttlebone in for them, they are feasting. All the crabs came from dry substrate and no heat,so I'm sure the humidity,warmth and option to dig will make them happy. Going to keep them in there own tank for about two months before I put them in the main tanks. Give them a chance to molt and de stress before overwhelming them with all the other crabs. They are cute lil things. Can't wait to see how they do though.

me n my hermikids

Re: Adopted 6 new crabs today

Post by me n my hermikids » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:36 pm

Congratulations on your new crabs!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Congrats on the adoptions! They are a much better place now, I'm sure they'll do great.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Topic author
rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:59 pm

Thanks, I haven't done an adoption in awhile so I was excited. I won't purchase any from the pet store (with the exception for a strawberry...I just want them so bad). So I m happy to get some new babies and not have to support the pet stores in doing it. They didn't have everything they needed so I'm happy to give it to them. They got really excited when I put the food in for them, it was very cute. :crabbigsmile:

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:35 pm

I know the feeling. I have only adopted once-I don't have good luck finding adoptees for some reason. I am trying to work out an adoption from someone right now. I will still buy from pet stores but I prefer to give the ones my money who do a good job. Like the straws I just got were from eliteinverts, which opened a brick and motor store not far from me (so no shipping on those straws - other than how they already got there of course). They were great, and I only popped into the store for a few minuets and it wasn't technically open yet, but I really want to go back.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon

Topic author
rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:54 pm

Straws are very alluring, they are beautiful. Finding adoptable crabs is near impossible most of the time. I get excited when I find them though. And like these adoptions today were free, I just had to pay my gas and take the time. I was off work and had been planning it out for over a week to make the trip to get them so it was a good trip, and I kinda made a half day of it so I enjoyed it

Topic author
rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:05 pm

All crabs have changed shells, every one is eating a lot. They have been very active since I got them. I know they will start to disappear soon, so enjoying them while I can. Once they settle in and make it through there first molt they will get transferred to there main tank. The littlest one is so cute!

cathy314

Post by cathy314 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:54 pm

We haven't owned any crabs yet but have really been thinking about it. Hopefully we can find some that need a home. We really don't want to purchase them or win them somewhere. We adopted 3 sugar gliders and we have loved them for the last 6 years.

http://sugargliderzone.com

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:50 pm

Just FYI, Elite Inverts is in Kent, and I don't know how far that is from you but if you wanted straws w/o paying for and putting them through shipping, and didn't mind another day trip EliteInverts is in OH. :D

Topic author
rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:34 am

landlubber wrote:Just FYI, Elite Inverts is in Kent, and I don't know how far that is from you but if you wanted straws w/o paying for and putting them through shipping, and didn't mind another day trip EliteInverts is in OH. :D
Thanks for the information, I'm probably going to have to wait till after Christmas working over 60 hrs a week till after the holidays, I'll have to go check it out. I'm always up for a day trip I don't get out much, so I'll have to plan another day trip