First Adoption Complete! (With Pictures)

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Rawrgeous

First Adoption Complete! (With Pictures)

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:10 pm

I am walking on cloud nine today- Soo pumped!!!! I put an ad out on craigslist, and I didn't hear from anyone for forever, but finally a week or so ago I was contacted by a lady who had a lone hermie that she loved very much, but had lost the others and wanted him to find a good home. She used the hermit crab patch, and gave him a fairly good home. The only downside is she gave me all her supplies (free of charge! wonderful sweet lady) and I did notice she didn't really have any good large shells for her to change into. Luckily, I have several larger ones on hand from an order to naples in anticipation for her arrival! The lady originally thought she was male, but I found gonopores, as it didn't take long for her to head to the ceiling!! I'm so happy. Very active healthy crab- couldn't have asked for a smoother or better first adoption. I did snap a few quick pics, but crabby was definitely anxious to get into the tank, and trying to hide from us lol.
[imgImage]
Getting up after hiding!
[imgImage]
Such a cutie!
Image[/url][/img]
[imgImage][/img]
From the chart I'm assuming she's either a small large or large medium. :) I've decided to call her Mrs. Robinson. :) I'm in love- very active and happy already! YAysss! :cheer:

Crabinski

Re: First Adoption Complete! (With Pictures)

Post by Crabinski » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:53 pm

She's lovely! Coo-coo-ca-choo, Mrs Robinson -- long may you thrive in your new home!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:26 pm

:) Thank you. She's bigger than I expected! But I think their first night went well, I looked in right before bed and all three where cuddled under the resin stump in the middle of my tank. <3 so cute.

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Congrats on the new adoption! Such a pretty lady! Adoptions from knowledgeable crabbers are the best! Those crabs are always so healthy and friendly!
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:39 pm

Congrats

Crabbing for 4 years-still obsessed! 5 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:40 pm

My keyboard keeps hiding from me but I was also wanting to say that I love your enthusiasm and she is a very lucky crab. :)

Crabbing for 4 years-still obsessed! 5 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

Topic author
Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:55 pm

Yes! I agree. I was honestly shocked of how loved she was. I expected a horror case in these parts! I was pleasantly surprised. I actually have it set up as an "open" adoption since she loved the little one so much! I'm just going to email her pics here and there as I get a chance with updates on how she's doing! :) I'm pretty smitten with her already. I also got a bunch of free feed from the HCP and such from the lady! Today I got my package from Wode with more food! ( I highly recommend btw- much value. ) <3 I got it right before work so I opened it there.....my coworker thought that the food was for me. XD ( she doesn't speak the greatest English) I had to explain to her that I'm not nuts and it's not a new fad diet. lmbo...not sure the pictures of my crabs convinced her. -snicker- Oh well. I'm a happy crazy lady. ;) I have too many choices for food now- I don't know how to choose what to feed them! lol I'm sure it'll be a feast tonight though! Lucky little things....can't wait to find another to adopt! As for the enthusiasm- I can't not be excited. I'm all in or nothing. XD Plus, how could anyone resist those precious lil eyes? :D
P.S. So glad at least somebody understood where I was going with Mrs. Robinson...I've had lots of confusion already. XD

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:56 pm

Like you I have a ton of food, much of it inherited with adopted crabs. I may not have the best organizational plan, but what I do is split foods into food groups, with a Miscellaneous group for mixes and treats. Then you can split it up however you like, in 14 baggies rotating once a month, or daily baggies, weekly baggies, however you want. I do four days. I store two grocery bags in the fridge. The first grocery bag holds the food I haven't fed in a while, the foods "up next," and the second grocery bag is for the foods I've recently fed. Once I get to the end of the first bag and everything is in the second bag I kind of "take stock" and re-organize the baggies. This way I can see that they have all their nutritional needs met every day, and I can see areas I need to restock in the next time I order food. Like right now I am sorely lacking in seaweed varieties and it's something they go nuts for. I currently have an order coming from Canadian Crab Connection with some more (and other goodies of course). :)
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Topic author
Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:43 pm

Great idea! I definitely have to get a system in place so I know what they have or haven't had in awhile.....might try something similar to yours. :)

jclee

Post by jclee » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:05 am

Congrats on the adoption. I, too, have been (mostly) lucky to adopt healthy and well cared for crabs. It does help the transition move more smoothly. The only exception was one poorly cared for crab that guarded the food bowl for a week. He was far too fond of my fresh food options (rather than the crummy pellets he'd been kept on).

I am glad that everything has worked out.
You can see my critters here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/

Topic author
Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:45 pm

I'm glad you've been lucky as well. :) I'm going to attempt to find one or two more adoptions then I'll be done for awhile. :)