my new "babies," pics**

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
crabby_D

my new "babies," pics**

Post by crabby_D » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:59 pm

So we did a Craigslist adoption two weeks ago, and I also upgraded our original 6 smalls to a 20L. :crabbigsmile: I didn't realize how small everyone is until we got our adoptees. They are really only mediums, but the newbies seem so BIG!!

The adoptees didn't come from optimal conditions, so they have been pretty slow the past two weeks. The owners seemed super nice, just not "into" the maintenance of hermit crabs. One of the 3 went under within the first 24 hours and we haven't seen him since. The second sat in the same spot for just over a week, and I worried constantly that he was going to surface molt. He's moving more now, but still slow. He seems to "sleep" a lot. Where they hang out of their shell just a little, but don't move and you can't see their antennae...? The third seems the healthiest. She has been the most mobile, and EATS and poops a ridiculous amount. (I'm used to smalls!) She was in a broken shell that she didn't seem interested in changing out of. It was REALLY bothering me. I peeked in the tank today, (our adoption was 2 weeks ago Sunday) and she had changed shells!! :clap: I took her old broken shell out, and not only was the opening chipped, but it was PAPER thin!! Holy cow. I wonder if all that eating made her strong enough to carry a sturdier shell?

So here are the pics I have:

Their former conditions:

That is less than 1 inch of the chunky reptile coco substrate, and it's bone dry. Poor things.

Here is them in their new 'tat. I was taking pics through the glass so I didn't stress them too much.
The one in the babylonia (?) is the one that went under within the first 24. Super cute.

Chipped shell baby. I named her Charlotte, but then I noticed she is a he. :lol:

Should I iso them until they have their first molt? I think they might like the space in the 20L, but I hate to compromise their health, or those of my original colony. Love my little guys. :love::

Topic author
crabby_D

Re: my new "babies," pics**

Post by crabby_D » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:17 pm

A few of the "original 6" in the 20gL. Top to bottom: Shelby, Marcello, and Calypso.

I added some cholla and silk plants. I want to do a moss pit/shell shop, but I am confused about the moss I have. It is a chunk. Should I break it apart?
Thank you!

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:49 pm

They are darling! I love the pictures of crabs who think they are hiding. Their tank looks wonderful-they must think they are in heaven!
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

charbeenie

Post by charbeenie » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:02 am

Congrats on the new babies! They are going to really love life now!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:08 pm

crabby_D wrote:I added some cholla and silk plants. I want to do a moss pit/shell shop, but I am confused about the moss I have. It is a chunk. Should I break it apart? Thank you!
Congrats on the new crabbie kids. Your tank is such a huge upgrade from their previous living conditions, they're probably still taking it all in!

You'll probably not need the whole "chunk" to create a moss pit so just break it apart and soak about 1/2 in dechlorinated water. When it's super-saturated, squeeze out the excess water, pop it in a container and into the tank.

Love Calypso's choice of shells...definitely thinking outside the box :laughing8: !
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
crabby_D

Post by crabby_D » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:03 pm

Crabinski wrote:
crabby_D wrote:I added some cholla and silk plants. I want to do a moss pit/shell shop, but I am confused about the moss I have. It is a chunk. Should I break it apart? Thank you!
Congrats on the new crabbie kids. Your tank is such a huge upgrade from their previous living conditions, they're probably still taking it all in!

You'll probably not need the whole "chunk" to create a moss pit so just break it apart and soak about 1/2 in dechlorinated water. When it's super-saturated, squeeze out the excess water, pop it in a container and into the tank.

Love Calypso's choice of shells...definitely thinking outside the box :laughing8: !

Funny you say that about Calypso's shell. She arrived to us in that shell (last summer), and she refuses to change into a turbo!!! Little stinker. I plan to order some of those tree snail shells in a larger size, because hers is pretty small on her. It stresses me out. :? She would take a turbo in the right size over keeping her original shell if it was uncomfortable, right??

Topic author
crabby_D

Post by crabby_D » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:05 pm

Thanks guys! I love them already. :love::

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:27 pm

I wouldn't worry too much if there is adequate size options- they're ready when they're ready. Maybe she's just used to it. :) They're funny little creatures. I wouldn't worry, the time will come, and who knows? Maybe she just likes oddball shells.

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:30 am

Dramatic change in crabitat for them! I love that purple bushy plant. Congrats!