New crabber in the Flint, MI area

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
eldorf.dragonsbane

Re: New crabber in the Flint, MI area

Post by eldorf.dragonsbane » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:11 pm

Initially was using the ZooMed Hermit Crab Saltwater Conditioner, when I bought the 29g tank, I also picked up a box of Instant Ocean. Been using that for their salt water since. The ZooMed Hermit Crab Salt water Conditioner was bought before finding out that it didnt supply everythign that crabs need for salt water.

Well currently tank with just the UTH on the back is at 79f and 94% humidity according to the Acurite gauge (the Acurite reads 2% low according to the salt paste in sealed container test). The Zoomed gauge is about spot on for the temp, though the hygometer side is reading about 12%-15% low compared to the Acurite gauge. When I put the moss in the Zoomed was reading 70% humidity and I was figuring i needed to get it up, but in actuality even before adding the moss I was still in the safe humidity range. Still waiting for the Zilla Digital Power Center to arrive from Amazon, it should have been here Tuesday, Amazon does have for tracking a not that if it isnt delivered by today to contact them for either a refund or replacement. Have the light stand and lights set up waiting for the power center, though right now with the tank being at 79f dont think i need the lights to help heat the tank yet, though did get them more for the winter months.

Right now all 6 crabs are under, though at least one has been up last night, the 2 small river shrimps I put in with the HCP Basic Diet last night had 1 missing and one about 6in from the food dish this morning, and it looked like part of it was torn into. Cant wait till all of them are up so I can partially bury the plastic fish skeleton, add a bit more substrate where i want the fish buried at and add some larger/deeper dishes for water. Did get around to boiling the new cholla wood pieces today since it was a day off from work right now they are sitting the other room in front of a fan and dehumidifier to try and help dry them out.
Currently keeping 6 PP's- Tawas, Mr. J, Highwire, Mimzi, Carter and Taggart in a 29g aquarium