New to be crab owner

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Moorespride

New to be crab owner

Post by Moorespride » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:40 am

Doing all my research and hoping to get all set up and get my youngest daughter crabs for Christmas. So much to learn. I have done a lot of research on habitat but now need to Lear the different species... Didn't know there were I thought a crab was a crab

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New to be crab owner

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:48 am

Welcome! Its refreshing to hear someone doing prior research before getting them! Saves your purse/wallet and the crabs will thank you for it!

(Have fun with the little ones, they can get a bit addictive... Especially when you become the soul caretaker... Where they seem to have a better meal plan that you do! :D )
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:39 pm

Moorespride wrote:Doing all my research and hoping to get all set up and get my youngest daughter crabs for Christmas. So much to learn. I have done a lot of research on habitat but now need to Lear the different species... Didn't know there were I thought a crab was a crab
The species you'll most commonly find in a pet store is the Purple Pincher, aka Caribbean Hermit Crab aka Tree Crab. The occasional Ecuadorian aka "E" will slip into a delivery but very few shops deliberately carry them.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:33 pm

As someone who took over a pair of impulse crabs after their young owner lost interest in them - good on you! Being prepared is half the battle.

And I might suggest that the key thing for a child to learn from crabs is patience... they aren't visible & active as much as many other pets, they don't much like being handled - in short, they are wild animals. So the thing a child is most likely to learn from these guys is what a wild animal's behavior really looks like up close!
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:05 pm

i used to work for my city zoo and we had a tank in our classroom to help teach the kids a few things. mainly how to care for yourself and others, being silent and still, the reward of waiting for things and the reward from planning and working toward a goal. all the kids loved it.