Hello!!!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Sylah

Hello!!!

Post by Sylah » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:49 am

Hi everyone at HCA!

My son and I are new crab owners and this community has helped so much, so huge thanks from us!
I never thought we would have hermit crabs... But the story goes - a couple of days ago we went to the beach (and because I have a broken foot I sat on the bench waiting for hubby and son to go play). They came back with a couple dozens of marine crabbies and little man wanted to take them home. I looked up on how to care for them and went and got a 10 gallon tank thinking most of them will die off :( I stayed up all night doing research and found out that marine crabs need different habitats than land crabs. I realized we will not be able to care for these marine crabbies so I did my best to make them as comfortable as possible till they passed.
We were left with a kit for hermit crabs so we bought two hermit crabs from the store as I read they need buddies to play with. We have name the slightly bigger one Ozzy and don't have a name for the other guy yet.
Currently I use mix of eco-earth and play sand for substrate. There is a coco hut, salt water and fresh water dish, shells, as well as some climbing toys I made with pear branches, grapevine and netting (can someone tell me if pear is ok? I've found yes and no answers). So far I've found their favorite food is coconut! :) They are shy (and probably stressed from being accidentally dropped, so now we don't handle them) so the first couple of days they have been burrowing during the day and came out at night time. I like to think they now have a better life than in the pet store and am looking forward to see they grow big and healthy. :)

mjjluver

Re: Hello!!!

Post by mjjluver » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:15 am

enjoy your new crabbies!

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:56 am

Hi welcome aboard! In case you haven't already seen it, here's the basic care guide: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92457

Also...
Safe food list: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92557
Unsafe foods: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92556
And food pyramid/guide: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92554 (pic not working... I'll have to find one)

Please make sure you feed them a variety (organic and pesticide free if possible). Protein and calcium are also very important! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Sylah

Post by Sylah » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Thank you, mjjluver and daws409!

Thanks for sharing the links :)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:10 pm

Welcome to the obsession, and of course HCA! :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Welcome aboard, I'm new here too and if you have any questions about anything crab related someone knows or can at least point you in the right direction.

Can I suggest Dio for your nameless crab? He was also rather small but powerful singer. A perfect companion for Ozzy! :twisted:
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Sylah

Post by Sylah » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:31 am

Hey Motörcrab! Thanks for the suggestion, I know what we are doing tomorrow after my son gets out of school (watching Dio videos!)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Hello! Welcome to the HCA! Very sad about the marine crabs. Too bad you couldn't leave them in their environment. We love pictures here! Please share your crabitat!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Sylah

Post by Sylah » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:02 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Hello! Welcome to the HCA! Very sad about the marine crabs. Too bad you couldn't leave them in their environment. We love pictures here! Please share your crabitat!
Thank you :)

Here are a few photos! Any feedback is welcome especially to make my crabitat more comfortable for the crabbies!
There is Ozzy resting. Ozzy changed shells the very first day we brought him back home :) He (she? we haven't checked) hasn't been moving since yesterday, hopefully he is just de-stressing.

Here is our 10 gallon set up for two small crabbies. I use a damp towel on the top of my mesh lid to help with humidity. Other than the Ficus (which arrived today) most of the climbing things are from our yard and/or DIY. Yesterday I found the coco hut full of white mold so washed and boiled it. Gonna go get some oak planks to make small moss pit for a second story later today :cheer:

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:11 am

Pics aren't working for me... Maybe you could download the app and upload them that way

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:27 am

Oh man...pics aren't working for me either :(
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Sylah

Post by Sylah » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Downloaded the app, hope this works, thanks for the heads up!

Ozzy was eating last night, but is still staying at the same spot, I'm not worried though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 pm

That looks nice! Thanks for sharing! :) love the natural look!

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:44 pm

I agree... Love the natural look!

Topic author
Sylah

Post by Sylah » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:26 pm

daws409 wrote:I agree... Love the natural look!

GotButterflies wrote:That looks nice! Thanks for sharing! :) love the natural look!
Thank you, daws409 and GotButterflies!