New to the crab world!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Links

Re: New to the crab world!

Post by Links » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:13 am

Welcome here! I did a pitty purchase back in January. Got 2 teenies. They buried after a week. One came up and died. The other must’ve died under the sub. I didn’t think I needed to iso them because the pet store had proper temp and humidity. I guess they just had too much stress during transport. Maybe because it was January and cold.

Topic author
Astone

Post by Astone » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:35 pm

So I have my first molting crab, I didn't realize he was buried where I was digging, to clean out and rearrange tank and found a body and the shell, I thought it was dead but then saw he was actually in the shell still and moved so I'm hoping that it didn't stress him out too much. I also did upgrade to a 29 gallon tall tank from a 20 long and everyone was right, I want to go bigger still! ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:52 pm

Crabs will tunnel and move once they are underground. You need to be very careful about cleaning or rearranging things when one is under. You will need to isolate him from your other crabs, with his exo and in the dark if possible. Maybe a small amount of fresh and dechlor water. Once he has eaten his exo and is moving around, you can let him back with the other crabs.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Astone

Post by Astone » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:59 pm

I placed him back down in the hole and covered him, should I still isolate him, I don't want to dig him up again and add more stress

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:43 pm

Once a crab has been dug up, you can not re-bury him in the substrate. He could suffocate. So yes, I would dig him up and iso him at this point.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Astone

Post by Astone » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:59 pm

I have a question food related. I know they can have watermelon, does that include the rind? I have just given them pieces of the flesh cause I'm not sure

CombatMist

Post by CombatMist » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:04 pm

Welcome

Cute micro crabs

I went from 10 gallon to 20 gallon long. Same floor space as 29 gallon. Had a few weeks and for me its plenty tall enough for 6 inch of substrate, 2nd level and short 3rd level. Get creative. Instead of just saying I need more, think how to get more out of what you have. Build up is the key which you have a great start on. Make everything multipurpose. You could attach a way from 1 rope hammock to the other. Give multiple ways to get places. Lots of variety.

You will instantly fill up more space. Humans are good about that.

Not sure why your thermometer is almost on the ground. Floor space is a premium in crabitats. If a thing can go higher up leaving more digging space great.
Craber since (december 2019)
5 pps, 1 successful molt 🥳
20 gallon long

Topic author
Astone

Post by Astone » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:07 pm

For those that have made jute climbing ropes/bridges,

how did you get the smell out of the twine?

I covered a shower container that hangs over the edge of tank in jute and the smell is strong and I also noticed that my babies have been staying down alot since that went in. Wasn't sure if the smell could be bothering them. I have taken it out to see if it makes a difference