Newish crab owner.

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Fullmetalheart

Newish crab owner.

Post by Fullmetalheart » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:48 pm

Hey,

So I am kind of new to hermit crabs at least in the sense of feeling like I am doing it right. I do have a hard time keeping the temp up but humidity is fine. Here is my set up it has progressed over the last few days let me know thoughts and concerns. Also they have been given brand new shells that are not painted. One has already moved in to one of the natural shells the other one I believe is molting so hopefully he will change shells.

I have two crabs one Small to medium and one medium. The bigger one is the one shown climbing. They have also been hiding under the moss under the drift wood along the back.

The folliage on top of the hemp netting is newer please let me know if you think this is too crowded. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Newish crab owner.

Post by curlysister » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:17 pm

Welcome to crabbing!
Do you have a lid for your tank? It will help hold in both heat and humidity. What are you using for a heater? Do you live somewhere that it is very humid? (Just wondering how the humidity is staying in, or maybe that's the surrounding humidity.)

HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells per crab. When given the option, most crabs will change into natural shells pretty quickly. Be sure to check out the shell guide, as there are proper and improper shells to buy. You should remove the painted shells form the tank so that they aren't an option.

How big is your tank? It doesn't look too crowded to me.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Fullmetalheart

Post by Fullmetalheart » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:28 pm

curlysister wrote:Welcome to crabbing!
Do you have a lid for your tank? It will help hold in both heat and humidity. What are you using for a heater? Do you live somewhere that it is very humid? (Just wondering how the humidity is staying in, or maybe that's the surrounding humidity.)

HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells per crab. When given the option, most crabs will change into natural shells pretty quickly. Be sure to check out the shell guide, as there are proper and improper shells to buy. You should remove the painted shells form the tank so that they aren't an option.

How big is your tank? It doesn't look too crowded to me.
Yes I do have a lid. I just had it off for the picture lol. I am using a zoo-med heater along the right hand side. I have taken all the painted shells out. Some of those pictures were older when I was waiting for my non painted shells to come in. The larger one has moving in and out of the new natural shells. the smaller one is currently molting with a painted shell. So as soon as he surfaces he will have plenty to change into. All my shells were boiled before putting them in the cage as well.

Last edited by Fullmetalheart on Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Fullmetalheart

Post by Fullmetalheart » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:29 pm

Also my tank is a 10gallon

asiankanye

Newish crab owner.

Post by asiankanye » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10 pm

Looks great! You probably do have a lid, but try to lower the climbing wall as hermit crabs are escape artists. A lot of us like to mix our substrate, but that’s really personal preference. Also the substrate doesn’t look deep enough, unless my depth perception is way messed up

Edit: forget what i said about lid that was all useless i didn’t see the other post by curlysister for some reaskm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:04 am

You could try insulating the back of the tank to help keep the heat in, or put a folded up blanket on the top. You can't insulate over top of the Zoomed heater.
Your tank doesn't look too crowded, but you will want to upgrade to a bigger tank some day - that's just how crabbing goes! LOL! Also as they grow, they will need more room and deeper sub. Your water bowls should also be deep enough that the crabs can submerge, but also have a way for them to climb out.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers