New crab owner, any specific suggestions for PP?

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
TheCrabbyJohnsons

New crab owner, any specific suggestions for PP?

Post by TheCrabbyJohnsons » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:48 pm

Hi! We just got a PP this weekend and are slowly researching and understanding the care that he needs. We've got a 10 gal tank with 6" sub, just got a side heater (is a UTH), and bought him some extra shells online, careful to measure what sizes he might want. We have questions specifically about water, food, humidity, and shelter.

With the 10 gal tank (limited due to where we live) we don' have a lot of options for a big pool, but I've read here on another forum that PPs don't usually swim/submerge? Our little guy might be molting soon (he's been digging a good bit, correct me if that's not what his behavior indicates!), so we want to make sure we have all the water and food needs figured out before he starts stocking up. Our current dishes are only a centimeter deep, btw. Would love suggestions!

For his food, we got the pet store pellet variety and also a mix that has mealworms and other protein in it, along with some 'crab cakes'. I also put some spinach in yesterday and he seemed to like that ok, but the fruit he did not like. Does anyone have suggestions for what foods we should stick with or new varieties that you've found PPs like?

For humidity, I've been misting but read on another forum that misting can cause flooding. I don't know if a bubbler is something we can figure out right now, but what other ways can I make sure the tank stays humid? The sub is sandcastle consistency and I will be sealing off the mesh tank top we have with something till I can get a glass lid, but would love advice!

Lastly (thank you for your patience!), the shelter we got has been taking up way too much room in our tank (it was one we found in the reptile section so its big). What would you suggest we use instead? And what should we use for climbing stuff? The current shelter has a 'tree' of sorts on it that our crab spends a lot of time in, but since we want a new shelter we will have to find a new climbing toy for him.

Thanks so much!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New crab owner, any specific suggestions for PP?

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:15 pm

Hello! Welcome to the HCA and to the addictive world of crabbing!

Please check out our care guides. You will find a lot of wonderful information there. :)

My PPs definitely swim - Here is a link for doubled up tupperware bowls: . Double dish bubblers: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... r#p1030806

Food: Hermit crabs can eat a lot of the same things that we eat. Just check to make sure the item is on the safe list. Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
You also want to provide one or more calcium sources at all times. Examples would be Cuttlebone, Organic Eggshell, Oyster Shell, Lobster Exo, Shrimp Exo.
Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid :)
Safe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Food pyramid: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554

Misting can definitely lead to flooding. A glass lid will help - bubblers in the pools will help - a moss pit will help. Deep substrate helps. Usually a larger tank helps too. Sometimes you have to mist a little to get your tank established. Just watch the substrate.

You can use any of the wood in the reptile section of Petco, Petsmart, PetSupermarket, etc. A good majority of them of are safe. :)

Also, if you have Oak, Maple, SweetGum or any other wood in your yard that is on the safe list, and you DO NOT have your yard sprayed with fertilizers or pesticides, and your city/town doesn't spray for mosquitos (you would have to call your city/town hall to find out) you can use branches from your yard. You would want to bake them to kill bugs first.

As far as hides - you can use coconuts from the bird section, fish tank decor, and plastic hides from the reptile section.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com