New Crabs and New Owner(s)

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
urbandruid37

New Crabs and New Owner(s)

Post by urbandruid37 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:53 pm

Just went on a family vacation to the beach, and our oldest son wanted to get a hermit crab. We ended up coming back with two, and I started researching how to care for them properly. I definitely failed one or two earlier in life and want to do it right this time.

We set up our new friends in a 20 gallon tank and have started working on it some. I need to mix some coconut husk into the sand to bulk up the substrate, and I have stuff for a moss pit too. I was wondering what this black stuff was though. It appeared after adding the cholla wood piece and I thought it might be from that. Any feedback would be appreciated!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Crabs and New Owner(s)

Post by curlysister » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:43 pm

You need to use the Tapatalk app, or a photo sharing site to load pictures. Can't see the pic you attached.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
urbandruid37

Post by urbandruid37 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:05 pm

Ahh, sorry. Here is the photo.Image

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:00 pm

urbandruid37 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:05 pm
Ahh, sorry. Here is the photo.Image

You definitely need more hiding places and larger freshwater and saltwater pools. Also, hermit crabs like to climb. The easiest way to accommodate this is place a long piece of cholla wood propped against a corner going up the tank wall. Can you also take a photo looking straight on at the tank?
Last edited by HermitofHermitCrabs on Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

Topic author
urbandruid37

Post by urbandruid37 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:14 pm

Sure, here's a front shot. I'm still working on it. I just got the caddy for an elevated moss pit. New shells are on the way too, to replace the painted ones. I'll probably reorganize tomorrow.

The bigger crab up front has been more shy, but the little one in the back likes to zoom all over. Image

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:17 pm

Your substrate looks deep enough. Just follow my guidelines above and get rid of those painted shells and you’ll be set.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:18 pm

That black stuff looks like hermit crab poop to me :) We call it brown frowns :) LOL!!!

Welcome to the HCA! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:42 pm

Welcome to HCA! Looks like you're off to a great start! Be sure to check out the 'care sheets' section for tons of info about food, water, tank conditions etc!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
urbandruid37

Post by urbandruid37 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Thanks, I did see the care sheets and they have been quite helpful so far.

Here's an update to the tank. One crab swapped shells already! Image

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:54 pm

I would recommended that you get larger water dish's you can use Tupperware and plastic craft mesh and zip ties!
Here is a link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-hjJuDy1h6U
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:58 pm

What are you using for food? I see that you do not have a thermometer and hydrometer. I would recommended that you invest in a nice one. Here is a good one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-0032 ... 5MQAvD_BwE
But good job!!!!
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper

Topic author
urbandruid37

Post by urbandruid37 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:44 am

For food, I have been feeding them fruit and veggie bits with some crumbled dried plankton. Sometimes a blob of peanut butter or honey. I also have spirulina powder and cuttlebone to add. How small does food need to be chopped?

Just got a thermometer/hygrometer set up. It's about 80 degrees F.

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:01 pm

urbandruid37 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:44 am
For food, I have been feeding them fruit and veggie bits with some crumbled dried plankton. Sometimes a blob of peanut butter or honey. I also have spirulina powder and cuttlebone to add. How small does food need to be chopped?

Just got a thermometer/hygrometer set up. It's about 80 degrees F.

Sounds like you’re feeding them well. You don’t have to finely chop then as they will tear off whatever they want with their pinchers.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:25 pm

First thing I noticed was the chocolate sprinkles poop. 😂 If they are eating that well, they are doing good!!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:39 pm

Not sure what you are using for water, but most products marketed for hermit crabs are not safe. A lot of us use a product called Instant Ocean which is what aquarium hobbyists use to make saltwater aquariums. It has the essential trace elements that hermit crabs need. :) You need a dechlorinator that removes chlorine, and chloramine as well as neutralizes ammonia and heavy metals. A lot of us use a product called Prime. As far as salt, you need marine salt, to mimic the ocean. You have to use the dechlorinator for both freshwater and marine saltwater. Both pools should be deep enough for them to fully submerge in and safe enough for them to get out of.

Water pools: Bubblers definitely do help boost the humidity. Double dish bubblers: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... r#p1030806

For food: Hermit crabs can eat a lot of the same things that we eat. Just check to make sure the item is on the safe list. Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
You also want to provide one or more calcium sources at all times. Examples would be Cuttlebone, Organic Eggshell, Oyster Shell, Lobster Exo, Shrimp Exo.
Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid :)
Safe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Food pyramid: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554

Sponges can be used as a food source. Squeeze all of the water out of it and put it directly on the substrate. Do not place them in the water bowls.

Hermit crabs are also known as tree crabs. If your yard isn't sprayed with pesticides and fertilizers, and your city/county doesn't spray for mosquitoes (you would have to call), you can use branches from safe wood in your backyard (Oak, Sweetgum, Maple) for hermit crabs to climb on. You would want to bake the branches to kill any bugs.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com