I got my hermies today!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
moonlightbae

I got my hermies today!

Post by moonlightbae » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:17 pm

I’ve loved hermit crabs since I was a kid, but I never had the confidence that I could keep them happy and healthy until now. I got a job at a pet store as the person who takes care of the animals we sell, and I decided to finally get some hermit crabs since I know everything they need now.

I got all my equipment and set up their habitat a few days ago, just to make sure I could keep a steady and appropriate temperature. And I was able to do that!

I’m so excited for this journey with y’all. <3

CrabbyLover77

Re: I got my hermies today!

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:34 pm

Hello, and congrats!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Fangs

Post by Fangs » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:27 pm

That's great! Would love to see pics :)

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:36 pm

congratulations!
be sure to read the care guides on this site if you haven’t already! they are filled with tons of amazing information:)

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:34 am

Congrats!
What's your tank setup like???????

And it's very nice to meet you :) Welcome to the HCA!
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

Topic author
moonlightbae

Post by moonlightbae » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:37 pm

Pumpkincrab wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:34 am
Congrats!
What's your tank setup like???????

And it's very nice to meet you :) Welcome to the HCA!
I got a 20 gallon with some soil substrate, my fresh & salt water bowls. I bought a premade kind specifically for hermit crabs without the chlorine and such. I’ve got five or six extra shells, I can’t remember, a climbing background, a little tree they can climb, a couple pieces of wood that they can hide under, I bought some premade food from the pet store until I figure out fresh foods that they like. I have my gauges for humidity and temperature, with heat lamps for day and night as well to keep them nice and warm. I think that’s it? I can’t think of anything else.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:22 pm

moonlightbae wrote: I got a 20 gallon with some soil substrate, my fresh & salt water bowls. I bought a premade kind specifically for hermit crabs without the chlorine and such. I’ve got five or six extra shells, I can’t remember, a climbing background, a little tree they can climb, a couple pieces of wood that they can hide under, I bought some premade food from the pet store until I figure out fresh foods that they like. I have my gauges for humidity and temperature, with heat lamps for day and night as well to keep them nice and warm. I think that’s it? I can’t think of anything else.
Hi!

Usually the premade water for crabs doesn't use the correct kind of salt for hermits, and it's overpriced too. You can use tap water with a dechlorinator and heavy metal detoxifier, like Prime. Using a marine salt like Instant Ocean with tap water works well. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:08 pm

Welcome to the HCA...great people here and lots of good info!

Sadly, some of the info taught in pet stores isn’t the best for our little crabby creatures...same with products labeled specifically for hermits. It’s strange really. You should check out the care sheets on here when you have some time… It can be a little overwhelming at first but they are all worth a good read!

Congratulations on your new hermit family, have fun with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk