New Owner, really really old Crab

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Elizabethanny

New Owner, really really old Crab

Post by Elizabethanny » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:08 pm

I never thought I'd be a crab owner, but here we are.
My story begins over the summer when my sweet daughter was playing in the swampy area back back in the place in my yard that is beyond our fence. She texted, "hey mum, there's a hermit crab in the swamp" to which I said - are you sure? She sent me a photo of the largest hermit crab I have ever seen in a bright teal painted shell.
Y'all this crab is the size of my palm. I named her Princess, offered her a lot of not painted shells. Bought a large aquarium, lots of sand, a heater, a thermometer that says the humidity, and things to do. And a few weeks ago she was acting kinda sad and switching shells - so bought her so friends and hoped she wouldn't eat them. Now I have 3 crabs. I've never been happier. Who knew hermit crabs would be so amazing?

hermitcrablover2
Location: Why do you want to know?... Ok fine SOMEWHERE in California.

Re: New Owner, really really old Crab

Post by hermitcrablover2 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:44 pm

Elizabethanny wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:08 pm
I never thought I'd be a crab owner, but here we are.
My story begins over the summer when my sweet daughter was playing in the swampy area back back in the place in my yard that is beyond our fence. She texted, "hey mum, there's a hermit crab in the swamp" to which I said - are you sure? She sent me a photo of the largest hermit crab I have ever seen in a bright teal painted shell.
Y'all this crab is the size of my palm. I named her Princess, offered her a lot of not painted shells. Bought a large aquarium, lots of sand, a heater, a thermometer that says the humidity, and things to do. And a few weeks ago she was acting kinda sad and switching shells - so bought her so friends and hoped she wouldn't eat them. Now I have 3 crabs. I've never been happier. Who knew hermit crabs would be so amazing?
That's awesome! :D It's so sad when people just dump their hermit crabs outside if they don't want them anymore, abandoning them is bad enough, but lots of people don't really know where hermit crabs live in the wild and just leave them at beaches or other watery areas. :( Its so cool that you were able to rescue Princess though! shes sounds like a very happy crab :)
2 PP's (Boba and Blue), 1 Dog (Coco)

"Eateth. Thy. WORDS." - Donatello, ROTTMNT

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Owner, really really old Crab

Post by curlysister » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:21 pm

Welcome to the site, and to the world of hermit crabs! Good job on saving Princess!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers