new crab owner!!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
mollyg626

new crab owner!!

Post by mollyg626 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:26 pm

hello everyone!! id like to introduce my crabs to the community i have mozzarella (motzy) and cheddar (ched). they are smallish medium sized hermies in a 10 gallon tank I honestly was too excited to get them and finally be an official part of this community! I am a little concerned because I haven't seen them eat yet other than motzy chowing on some leaf litter, they totally couldve gotten a little bite while I was at school or asleep but I am just a little concerned! Any tips? :crabblush:

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: new crab owner!!

Post by curlysister » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:01 pm

Welcome to crabbing and to the site!
When crabs are small, they eat very little. Like so little that for the first few years, the only way I knew that my two crabs were eating is that they were still alive! It seemed like I put in and took out the exact same amount of food. Sometime there will be something that is a crowd favorite, and you will notice it disappear - try putting in a few pieces of popped popcorn!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
mollyg626

Post by mollyg626 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:38 pm

i will thank you so much!!

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:20 pm

When I first got my crabs, I was panicking thinking that they were going to die because they weren't eating or drinking! But, we as humans have to remember that these animals know how to survive without us lol. So they definitely are eating. :) Also, if you haven't already, I would check out the care sheets and guides section! Good luck on your crab journey! ;)
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

I'm not lazy- I'm just highly motivated to do nothing. ;)