They really do head for the trees!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
hprmom

They really do head for the trees!

Post by hprmom » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:49 pm

I took a short break from hurricane prep today to search the forum, and found this post from last year:
mlakers wrote:Hurricane season ends in October and the Caribbean gets much drier. The risk of flooded sand from storms goes way down so being below the surface to molt after October is safer and more comfortable. Similarly, during the rainy season the humidity would be up and mass migrations would be safer/easier on the gills (and they know to head for the trees when the barometric pressure indicates an impending storm).
As we were doing a last check of the house for the evening the hubs called me over to the tank and we saw this:
Crabs all at the top of the cork tree! Whaddaya know, they really do head for the trees! And it's pretty cool to know they sense and respond to something in nature outside the glass box.

Crabinski

Re: They really do head for the trees!

Post by Crabinski » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:56 pm

Amazing how Mother Nature programs all creatures to behave accordingly in response to weather patterns, climate changes, etc. The only creature to resist appropriate behavior is man!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:30 am

A+++ post... I love that.
Amazing.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:45 am

How cool! You know my whole colony has been extra active these last few days..I wonder if it's related. I live in Nebraska, so definitely no hurricane here, but I wonder if they can sense the changing weather in general...stay safe up there! Definitely sending good vibes your way. Also, on a totally non-related note, I LOVE that light colored shell! It's so pretty. :D

Topic author
hprmom

Post by hprmom » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:22 am

Crabinski wrote:Amazing how Mother Nature programs all creatures to behave accordingly in response to weather patterns, climate changes, etc. The only creature to resist appropriate behavior is man!
LOL, right?!

Topic author
hprmom

Post by hprmom » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:26 am

Rawrgeous wrote:How cool! You know my whole colony has been extra active these last few days..I wonder if it's related. I live in Nebraska, so definitely no hurricane here, but I wonder if they can sense the changing weather in general...stay safe up there! Definitely sending good vibes your way. Also, on a totally non-related note, I LOVE that light colored shell! It's so pretty. :D
If they can sense barometric pressure, which even I can't notice a difference in, I'd guess yes!

The yellow green turbo? That's one of my all time favorites, I was so excited someone chose it! That's Herminy, he has consistently good taste. :) His last shell (which he didn't keep very long) was a "blonde" tapestry turbo; one of the others snatched it up when he vacated. The big honking murex is Junior; when we adopted him he was in a horse conch and has consistently preferred shells we think are hard to get around in, lol.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:09 am

That is zee one, it's such an interesting coloration, very unique! They're all beautiful though, I've just never seen a turbo like that before. :)

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
hprmom

Post by hprmom » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:45 am

Rawrgeous wrote:That is zee one, it's such an interesting coloration, very unique! They're all beautiful though, I've just never seen a turbo like that before. :)
Picked it out at Richard's! :)

Topic author
hprmom

Post by hprmom » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:51 am

At 6AM the crabitat light automatically kicked on with a beautiful, rosy sunrise glow. I switched it to "cloudy day" just in case that might confuse the crabs! :lol:

And we're all good. Hurricane track made a small but significant shift east. Lots of rain, debris, and a couple of brownouts, and the eye is already moving northward of us. :)

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:28 am

:D

That's good to hear!
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:12 am

How very cool!! Truly amazing creatures!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:56 pm

Wow That is so cute!!! :crabbigsmile: :crabbigsmile:
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:46 pm

Funny im in jax and mine are acting weird too!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:24 am

I am in Texas and my crabs that normally stay dug under have been up and roaming these past couple days. Could the hurricane be why?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:53 pm

I live near Daytona Beach, and mine have been extremely active as well! They were even eating during the day! I thought it was odd...now I know why! Thanks for this information!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com