Crab going in and out of shell

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:38 pm

So last time I posted I had a hermit crab completely out of his shell and soaking in water. This time its a little different. So for almost a week I've noticed one of the crabs sitting in the freshwater pool. I found that odd, because none of my crabs ever really do that. So I kept a eye on him for a few days. Then the other day I checked on him, and he was without his shell sitting in the pool. I right away got him out, put him in a iso container and put a shell for him in there. I put a dish of water for him to, and before I was going to try to help him get in the shell, he went right to the water and put his abdomen in it soaking. After a few mins he went and got in the shell by himself. Now for a few days now, he will come out of the shell once to twice a day and get in the water soaking his abdomen and then get back in the shell. I'm really not sure whats wrong. When he has been out of the shell, I checked his abdomen and all over, and everything looks ok from what I can tell. The humidity is perfectly fine so I know it isn't that either. Thanks to anyone that can help me figure out whats going on. I'm not sure if something is wrong with my tank, that this stuff keeps happening or what. I always try to keep all the stats perfect.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? -Sand and coconut fiber mixture. 10-11in

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? -Humidity is usually around 80-85% and temperature around low to mid 80s

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? -Heat lamps

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? -Fresh and salt water is available. I use repti-safe for all water. And for the saltwater I use instant ocean salt.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? -vegetables, fruit, protein. Fresh food daily.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? -Purple pincher. And not sure how long I have had him.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? -I'm not sure

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? -75 gallon tank, and screen lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? -19, and they range in sizes.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? -To many to count.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? -No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? -I do maintenance usually once a month or so.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? -No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? -No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. - Stated above
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

Life is not complete without a "few" critters!

Kermie16

Re: Crab going in and out of shell

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:37 pm

Interesting. Hoping he isn't sick ! Is he eating at all? Wondering if dipping the shells in the FW or MSW pools briefly and then leaving them out for him if that would make a difference? Hoping a more experienced crabber can chime in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:56 pm

I haven't seen him eat lately. But yea I really don't know what is wrong. Earlier today he again went out of the shell, soaked himself in the water, then went back in. And when he goes back in the shell he doesn't move at all.
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

mool

Post by mool » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:00 pm

The next time he vacates, check the inside of the shell and give it a good rinse.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:02 pm

Yea I did when I first put it in the container he is in.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:19 am

I would keep him isoed, just in case he is ill/injured so the others leave him alone. That is really odd though...nothing really stand out to me with your specs. I would just offer honey and eggshell and lots of calcium along with his regular diet and hopefully whatever is wrong works its way out.. :/ Fingers crossed!

Menders

Post by Menders » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:51 am

Your stats are on point. But what type of shell is he in? Is it possible that he is in a heavier or thicker shell and he is overheating. Maybe offer him some thinner shells? Maybe he is right in the aim of the heat lamp? You could try offering some thinner shells with a little fw in them. Im just trying to come up with a clue... thinking out loud

Menders
5 PPs, 1 cat exotic short hair, 2 children and a wonderful husband

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:09 pm

Yea currently he is just sitting outside the shell. But he is in a Iso tank. And when he first went out of his shell and was sitting in the pool his shell was a thinner one. But I didn't put it in the iso tank with him because it was way to small for him. I put some turbos in there. But I guess I will put that one back in there, and some other thinner ones to see if he will go in any.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:30 am

Roughly, how long have you had him if you know? Even, does he has the usual signs of a moult - hairy and black leg tips ect...?

Explain what you mean by 'protein'... :) Does it just include fish, beef, chicken ect....? What exactly? Stemming from this, what fruits and veggies do you (normally) feed. I'm thinking along the lines of your missing a "key ingredient" and the hermie has low levels of that 'ingredient'.

Where exactly are the gauges located?

How is the activity of "maintenance" carried out?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:41 pm

I'm not sure how long I have had him. And no he doesn't have those signs.

I feed them a variety of fruits and veggies, its always different. And protein is shrimp, chicken, dried mealworms, stuff like that.

The gauges are located one on the ground and one mounted on the side of the tank.

When I do maintenance I just add more moss to the moss pits, soak the sand, be sure the pools have fresh water, stuff like that.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:31 pm

Actually I just looked him over better a minute ago and he is hairy and has the black tips.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:12 am

Ok, at least we can corss out that he is a new crab thats undergoing PPS and is weak and can't handle the weight of the shell...

Roughly, what was the last time you have added a crab in there? (and likewise, when you got your first crab in there...?) At least, we can narrow down the window from your starting time to the last addition... So he would be somewhere in between. :)

Its good that your offering a large amount and variety of food, I was thinking it may be due to not feeding a variety and missing a few key minerals and vitamins. Do you think you hit the key nutrients - just to make sure?

Everything seems good to me then, I reall can't pinpoint anything or that glaringly stands out ATM.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:08 am

Ok. This is just a total stab in the dark. But, could the temp just feel too warm for him?? Is there such a thing? I keep my tank also in the low to mid 80's and all of our hermies seem ok with it but maybe he likes it a degree or two cooler???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:37 pm

The last time I added a crab was in August I think it was.

But I checked on him this morning and he isn't moving at all. I even picked him up and touched him and he didn't move or retract into his shell at all. Thought I would check on him later and see if there is any smell.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:26 pm

HermitCrabAddicted wrote:But I checked on him this morning and he isn't moving at all. I even picked him up and touched him and he didn't move or retract into his shell at all. Thought I would check on him later and see if there is any smell.
Could possibly going for a surface moult... Or still having signs of PPS. A few crabbers have mentioned that it often thats many successful moults to "eradicate" the effects of PPS. Dunno if its true, but it could explain the situation - and many others...
*hugs*

ISO him and try not to disturb him too much...