Are They Trying to Hurt Him?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
bloomire

Are They Trying to Hurt Him?

Post by bloomire » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:28 pm

I have 3 PP hermit crabs, 2 big and 1 really small one. They all came at the same size, but over the past 3 years the smaller one has barely grown.
My 2 bigger ones have been crowding around the smaller one the past 2 days, but I just caught them stopping the smaller one from changing shells. I'm really confused why because neither of them have ever used that shell before.
I haven't heard any chirping, which I guess is good. Should I take the smaller one out of the tank to change shells and put him back in, or would that make them aggressive towards him?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Are They Trying to Hurt Him?

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Hello! Welcome to the HCA! We will be more than happy to help you! How many shells do you have? The HCA recommends 3-4 shells per crab. I personally recommend more. Hermits (depending on your species), have shell preferences. I always have shells the same size and larger available for my crabbies. It would really help us if you could fill out the following questions regarding your tank so we can help you get to the main root of your problem, especially why your small one isn't growing:
http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 27&t=46102
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
bloomire

Post by bloomire » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:10 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Hello! Welcome to the HCA! We will be more than happy to help you! How many shells do you have? The HCA recommends 3-4 shells per crab. I personally recommend more. Hermits (depending on your species), have shell preferences. I always have shells the same size and larger available for my crabbies. It would really help us if you could fill out the following questions regarding your tank so we can help you get to the main root of your problem, especially why your small one isn't growing:
http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 27&t=46102
here's the link to the help request: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 9&t=113148
I have 9 shells in my tank, all the right size for them to move into next.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:35 pm

I posted a reply to your link :)
Hermits do have a hierarchy, but I would try spreading your shells around your tank.
Do you know the sexes of your crabbies?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
bloomire

Post by bloomire » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:44 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I posted a reply to your link :)
Hermits do have a hierarchy, but I would try spreading your shells around your tank.
Do you know the sexes of your crabbies?
No, I'm kind of too scared to hold them to find out. I'll try spreading the shells around my tank and getting a better variety. Do hermit crabs get attached to their old shells? I feel like that may be part of the problem.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Did they recently change shells and you take them out? Or is the smaller one using the other's old shell?
No worries on the sexes, I don't know mine either.

Topic author
bloomire

Post by bloomire » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:53 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Did they recently change shells and you take them out? Or is the smaller one using the other's old shell?
No worries on the sexes, I don't know mine either.
The smaller one is trying to move into 2 of the crab's old shells. I was wondering if I took the small crab out and had him change shells outside of the tank, that the others wouldn't hurt him once he was back in the tank.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Have you boiled them since the old crab was in them? I would do that with all of the shells. Once again, I think if you had more of a variety it wouldn't be an issue.

Topic author
bloomire

Post by bloomire » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:14 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Have you boiled them since the old crab was in them? I would do that with all of the shells. Once again, I think if you had more of a variety it wouldn't be an issue.
I'll make sure to boil them soon. Thanks for the help!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Yw! Boil with dechlorinated fw, then dip them in dechlorinated marine salt water and they will be a hit! Instant Ocean is a favorite product here on HCA for making marine salt water. Good luck! :)