Crab missing?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Crab missing?

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:08 pm

I wasn't sure if this should be posted here, but I was just doing maintenance on my tank, adding water to the sand and changing out the pools and all that stuff. I checked all of my crabs out and I am missing one. I'm pretty positive it didnt escape because I have a locking lid and i am always watching when the lid is open. I dug through the sand and checked the shell shop, I couldnt find him. Also didnt find any empty shells besides one outside the shell shop. Just curious if this has ever happened to anyone else? I thoroughly checked everywhere, and he isn't to be found.
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

Life is not complete without a "few" critters!

Kermie16

Re: Crab missing?

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:41 pm

Do u think ur missing crab is molting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:07 pm

I would never dig through the sand. Also, check the shells really well. Sometimes crabs can go in shells too big for them and it looks like an empty shell. Also, a freshly molted crab can blend easily before it darkens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:17 pm

I checked every empty shell twice, and checked everywhere. Nothing. But there was a shell that was outside the shell shop, buried just a tiny bit, but was sticking out of the sand, and it was full of sand. But idk if there was a crab in it before or just came out of the shell shop. Is it possible a crab could have eaten one? I didn't find any empty shells but that one, so I'm not sure.
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:55 am

They are likely buried. But check near vents, and in the bathroom. If you did have one escape you will likely find them where it is warm/humid.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:22 pm

But why wouldn't it be under the sub?
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:39 am

.....I just totally missed the whole dug through the sub part. I'm sorry I'm dumb today. Definitely check bathrooms/ kitchen, and near vents. Maybe put a bit of food and some moss in a sideways container and see if it attract him....

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:05 pm

Yep. I missed that part too :o As Rawrgeous said, check all the areas that would be humid and dark. Hope u are able to find him soon!

annedow9

Post by annedow9 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:39 pm

HermitCrabAddicted wrote:I checked every empty shell twice, and checked everywhere. Nothing. But there was a shell that was outside the shell shop, buried just a tiny bit, but was sticking out of the sand, and it was full of sand. But idk if there was a crab in it before or just came out of the shell shop. Is it possible a crab could have eaten one? I didn't find any empty shells but that one, so I'm not sure.
I have the same issue a shell surfaced without a crab in it and the shell never moved for 2 days!

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:55 pm

Wait I'm confused- she dug through the sand and there is still no crab??

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:59 am

Yeah, she's thinking one got out? At least that's what I gathered. :(

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:33 am

Rawrgeous wrote:Yeah, she's thinking one got out? At least that's what I gathered. :(
That's not good- I had an escapee once who made it to my first floor from my third... it happened to me in the days I had a screen lid with a towel covering it- she always hung from it so I figure when I took the lid off I didn't see her and she fell to the floor and crawled off. She's ok now.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Sorry I just read all of your posts. I looked everywhere, in my room, I always keep my door closed. No escaped hermit crab. I honestly don't know if I miscounted my hermit crabs awhile back, but I could of sworn I had a certain amount. I have a locking lid, and I always check the screen when I take it off to be sure none are on it. So I'm pretty positive one wouldn't had escape. I haven't had any empty shells lying around besides the one outside the shell shop, but thats normal for some to come out of that every now and then. So I honestly don't know where that one went. I had 2 crabs die a few days ago(from moving to a new home I assume since they were new) and one missing. Haven't been that lucky lately it seems.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:00 am

:( That's a bummer. I hope things turn around for you!

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:44 am

Thank you :)