Keep Switching To New Shell, Then Back to Old

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Gimpdiggity

Keep Switching To New Shell, Then Back to Old

Post by Gimpdiggity » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:29 am

My one crab is very strange. We got some new shells for him because he clearly wasn't interested in any of the ones that we had in there before. We also completely rebuilt their crabitat this past week.

So anyway...every other day or so for the last 10 days he has switched into the same new shell, then he travels around like a madman for one night in this new shell, before switching back to the old one the next day!!!

I'm not really concerned, but he's starting to LOOK like he's too big for the old shell, so I was hoping he'd just stick to one of the new shells and let that old one be done with.

In the meantime, the other crab (who spends most of her time under the sand) came up last night and in about five minutes swapped into one of the new shells and then instantly buried herself again. She came out and was all over the place during the day, but so far has stayed in her new shell.

Funny little critters, they are.

CrabMater

Re: Keep Switching To New Shell, Then Back to Old

Post by CrabMater » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:52 am

Hi, my tip after a year of this: i dont get into crab business.

in the beginning i used to worry about everything now as long as my guages are on point I let them do their crab business. if the painted shells are out of the picture i would let him go back and forth between shells. I remove painted shells as soon as they are shed bc of the potential health problems they cause.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!