What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:11 pm

aprilmay wrote:mid last week i noticed water level of both my pools dropped by an inch! i was puzzled! how did the evaporation turned so rapid? it hasn't been that warm lately either. Both my pools are square glass jars so leaking is unlikely.

when i took the pools out for water change yesterday i noticed there were like ~1.5" of water sitting in the outside container of the pools! thank goodness i had the nested setup! otherwise it would have totally flooded my sub! As i was cleaning up the water from the outside container, i tried to figure out how the water got in there from the pools. The only conclusion i could come up with was watermelon had fallen into both pools multiple times from either the wheel or vines/nets above the pools, so the water was splashed into the outside container. now i have to wonder whether he was doing those jumps on purpose... i have to keep a closer look this week!
:hlol: The highest jump wins...or maybe the highest splash wins!!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:59 am

I have owned 2 of my crabs for about 2 months and the third for 4 months. They were introduced to the same tank about a month ago.

So I have 2 crabs up and one down molting. I had to leave them alone for the weekend while I went to visit my family. I came back yesterday evening and saw what I thought to be my molter, Robin, back up! I prepared a nutritious, finely ground meal (since Robin's claws are injured), cleaned up the tank, and waited for him to get in a good position for me to check out his claws.

As I'm waiting, I notice the shell my smallest crab, Toby, has been in was empty. Cue owner panic. I look around for another moving shell, but see none. Robin is heading towards the discarded shell. Fearing the worst, I reach in to inspect the area around the shell, pick up Robin to move him out of the way, and realize that he receded a lot farther than I remember...upon closer inspection, I see that he still has his "thumb" on his BC.

Long story short, Toby put on the shell Robin switched out of before digging down. I'd say it's too big on him, which is why that didn't occur to me sooner.

So, still only 2 crabs up. Little stinkers are going to give me a coronary one of these days.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
4 PPs at this party: Toby(f), Robin(f), Speedy(m), Wally(TBD)

he-man

Post by he-man » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Fledgling wrote:I have owned 2 of my crabs for about 2 months and the third for 4 months. They were introduced to the same tank about a month ago.

So I have 2 crabs up and one down molting. I had to leave them alone for the weekend while I went to visit my family. I came back yesterday evening and saw what I thought to be my molter, Robin, back up! I prepared a nutritious, finely ground meal (since Robin's claws are injured), cleaned up the tank, and waited for him to get in a good position for me to check out his claws.

As I'm waiting, I notice the shell my smallest crab, Toby, has been in was empty. Cue owner panic. I look around for another moving shell, but see none. Robin is heading towards the discarded shell. Fearing the worst, I reach in to inspect the area around the shell, pick up Robin to move him out of the way, and realize that he receded a lot farther than I remember...upon closer inspection, I see that he still has his "thumb" on his BC.

Long story short, Toby put on the shell Robin switched out of before digging down. I'd say it's too big on him, which is why that didn't occur to me sooner.

So, still only 2 crabs up. Little stinkers are going to give me a coronary one of these days.

Ahh for the longest time my crab David was always switching between shells that were about 1/2 to 1 inch to big for him. You could barely see his eye stocks! :lol: He's such a funny little crab!
my mom takes care of my crabs now cause im planning college B)

Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:45 am

Toby decided that climbing inside of the wheel is just too easy. Image
Not a great photo, but I didn't want to scare him.Image

4 PPs at this party: Toby(f), Robin(f), Speedy(m), Wally(TBD)

he-man

Post by he-man » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Fledgling wrote:Toby decided that climbing inside of the wheel is just too easy. Image
Not a great photo, but I didn't want to scare him.Image

Cute! My littler crabs love to team up with one walking on the inside of the wheel and the other on the outside. It's so funny! :lol:
my mom takes care of my crabs now cause im planning college B)

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:16 am

Two of my five are out hanging on the cork log. And Gary just fell getting out of the sw pool......might need to fix that. Saw Eugene do the same ladt night.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:19 am

Just Jay wrote:Two of my five are out hanging on the cork log. And Gary just fell getting out of the sw pool......might need to fix that. Saw Eugene do the same ladt night.

Really hard to get a good photo without getting up and scaring them off.Image

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:58 pm

I know the feeling! Mine are so shy still they only come out at 3am and the moment they see me they bolt! Silly crabbies, don't they know the absurd amount of time/money/trouble that went in to building them these perfect little crabitats? Lol. U gotta be quick with that camera

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:01 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:I know the feeling! Mine are so shy still they only come out at 3am and the moment they see me they bolt! Silly crabbies, don't they know the absurd amount of time/money/trouble that went in to building them these perfect little crabitats? Lol. U gotta be quick with that camera
Some of mine are super social. I try to associate with food. The two that were up are ok over all. Just usually hide if i stand up. I dont know why either. If im already standing by the tank and they are out they are fine. I can only imagine how movement sensitive their eyes are

Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Mine are fine with me for the most part, as long as i don't move too fast. Any moderately fast movement, or when i open the tank lid, and they bolt!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:27 am

Yay!! Jack is down finally for a molt!!! Here's to seeing a new big pincher when he comes back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Giner13 wrote:Yay!! Jack is down finally for a molt!!! Here's to seeing a new big pincher when he comes back upImageImageImage

Great news, Giner13!! Go Capt!!

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:35 pm

Took off the 55g glass tops to clean out pools and change the food. I️ initially saw Mini Pinch dug down a little in the sub just under the big cork round so I️ figures he was planning on staying there while I️ cleaned. I️ took the pools to the sink to wash them out. Literally like 2 minutes max and I️ came back to find the booger at the top of the tank trying to escape! I’m gonna have to change his name to 007. Lol!

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:13 pm

Giner13 wrote:Yay!! Jack is down finally for a molt!!! Here's to seeing a new big pincher when he comes back upImageImageImage

I read this Post right before going to sleep and then I had a really vivid dream about a hermit crab with a big gel limb lol

My crabbos are having a crab party right now. I don't know what it is but they have been super active lately, out and about all the time. Maybe I finally nailed the conditions or maybe everyone's just finally starting to settle in enough to be comfortable. Anyways, it's awesome to get to see my crew more :)

jclee

Post by jclee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:43 pm

Most of mine are molting, but this guy has been loving the net, lately. They get more outgoing as they get bigger.Image
You can see my critters here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/