Mixing crab sizes?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Marebear

Mixing crab sizes?

Post by Marebear » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:31 am

So, I have 2 large PP’s in a 20 gallon long and one of them has been molting for a whhillee. I’m not worried about the molting crab (Picasso), but am more worried about the non-molting crab (Sonic). Is he getting lonley? I’ve been wanting to get another crab or two for a while to keep the non-molting one company but I cannot seem to find a simmilar-sized crab. Is it okay if they are smaller? If the tank size is the problem I can easily upgrade the tank and have also been wanting to upgrade to somewhere in the 40-55 gallon range. The only crabs around me are soo tiny compared to mine. My bigget one is about the size of my palm when retracted in their shell completley and the other one is a little smaller.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mixing crab sizes?

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:36 am

Hello! :) You can mix different sizes! That isn't a problem! :) You definitely want to just make sure you provide the appropriate aquarium space to prevent problems though :)

You crab is not getting lonely with the one being down. They know the other is in the tank :)

If you do get another crab, please remember to dip it into the freshwater of the tank so it doesn't smell like an intruder. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Marebear

Post by Marebear » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:46 am

GotButterflies wrote:Hello! :) You can mix different sizes! That isn't a problem! :) You definitely want to just make sure you provide the appropriate aquarium space to prevent problems though :)

You crab is not getting lonely with the one being down. They know the other is in the tank :)

If you do get another crab, please remember to dip it into the freshwater of the tank so it doesn't smell like an intruder. :)
Okay thanks! I might hold off on getting another one until I can upgrade the tank. Happy my crabs are happy :) thanks for the help!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:29 pm

Yw! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com