After the sad death of one crabbie, the second one came out!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:02 am

I lost my crab Orangutan last week due to my own errors. I learned a lot from the experience. Bluey was also under but I waited her out and she came up over the weekend. I quickly took action to beef up my substrate. It is now nearly 6 inches the entire way across (a little higher on one side).

She has gone into hiding into the moss pit I made with a small glass jar, she seems to like it in there. I made a bunch of fresh food and I am pretty sure she has been eating it as well. My humidity and heat are finally really good and stable. I hope she stays up for awhile.

Now that I only have one crabbie though, I am worried she will get lonely.

RiNiKy506

Re: After the sad death of one crabbie, the second one came

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:13 pm

I am so sorry you lost Orangutan. Can you get Bluey a new roomie? I know it still doesn’t replace Orangutan but Bluey won’t be lonely with a tank mate. Rod, Salty, and Bob all live in our moss pit too. No one has dug down yet since I have switched them over. *knock on wood* They seem to really love the moss pit. Did you add the moss pit after Bluey went down, or was it already in there? I’m just curious if the moss pit has anything to do with them staying up. Mine used to dig down a lot but now that I have the moss pit they seem to stay in there a lot.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:08 pm

I added the moss pit while both were down so this is the first time Bluey has investigated. She seems to love it.

I would get her a roommate but I don't want to buy a hermit crab and support the trade...I got both of them as rescues (someone left them abandoned on the sidewalk) and that was my first hermit crab experience. That was back in August.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:49 pm

That’s right! I remember reading your post, it’s hard to remember sometimes. Did you check the adoption threads?

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:57 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:That’s right! I remember reading your post, it’s hard to remember sometimes. Did you check the adoption threads?

If you don't find anything near you on there, Craigslist is also an option.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks! I listed myself on the adoption thread. I have never used Craig's List but I searched in my area under "hermit crab" and nothing came up. It's more likely in the summer when folks are vacationing at the beach I think.