Handling?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Hermiecrab

Re: Handling?

Post by Hermiecrab » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:38 am

I know, I'm not trying to change your opinions, I just am curious. Thank you though!
Leonardo Dapinci, Clawdia, Coconut. Rest in peace, Samwise!
Aussiedoodle puppy, Watson <3 Super sweet, and super cute!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:44 am

I will mention, it's a relatively "new" phenomenon to be hands off, when I first started crabbing in 2012 there were numerous people still handling their crabs on the reg or at least, providing out of tank time. Some older crabbers (like Carol) still swear by handling their crabs, and if it's worked for them, who am I to disagree?

The only thing is to exercise caution and at least wait for a moult under your care before considering handling. Likewise, only handle crabs thats out and about, if hiding, leave them alone. If you notice your crabs aren't enjoying it - they likely won't - once again, keep hands off. Extreme activity is a sign of stress, and excessive hiding in the tank is another warning sign. Stress isn't bad (we need a little stress in our lives to stay healthy/sane believe it or not!), but a lot of it can lead to devastating issues.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Hermiecrab

Post by Hermiecrab » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:55 am

ok thanks

Topic author
Hermiecrab

Post by Hermiecrab » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:03 am

Coconut update! I had her out yesterday (I do that every 3-4 days) and I gave her peanut butter for the first time! She really liked it but I think she liked the texture more than the taste :hlol: She kept climbing on top of it and touching it but not eating it :D also, I set her down on my bed she crawled a little ways away, then turned around looked at me and crawled up my arm! I didn't put my hand in front of her or anything she just stopped and did it! I love my little crab. Does any body have crabs with crazy quirks? I mean, Leoardo DaPinchi is an escape artist. I put him in a damp tote while I cleaned the tank. Somehow he climbed up it and was hanging from the rim :lol: He scared me so bad I thought he was going to crack his shell. Coconut is super shy, and is constantly shell shopping. I say that Clawdia is in the army because she wears a camo turbo shell and the other two defer to her. anyway, does anyone else have crazy crabs like that? please share! :D

Alaina

Post by Alaina » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:31 am

The camo shell is naturally camo looking not painted right? Not to be nosey or one to tell anyone what to do but painted shells are not good for them. Actually one thing I love about this site is everyone is so knowledgeable without being judgemental or a know it all.Everyone is so nice and wants what's best for both the crabs and owners. Plus everyone seems to bring their own special kind/specific field of expertise. I thought I knew a lot but this site really has taught me alot and countinues to. Not to mention when I'm second guessing things I can ask even the silliest questions lol

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiecrab

Post by Hermiecrab » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:13 pm

no it is not painted, It is polished but that is safe. :)

Alaina

Post by Alaina » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:53 pm

It's amazing what they can do with those shells. I don't know how they do it. I hate sanding them when they have rough edges. My son would love a camo shell. I'll have to keep an eye out. Thank you for letting me know they have them in camo.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiecrab

Post by Hermiecrab » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:15 pm

:) You can get them off of amazon. I have only found them with almost 1 inch openings but my crabs are quite large! you may be able to find them smaller however. Good luck!

Topic author
Hermiecrab

Post by Hermiecrab » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:48 am

Leonardo DaPinchi is getting much more comfortable. I can walk around the tank and put my hand near him without him every going into his shell or running away!

Topic author
Hermiecrab

Post by Hermiecrab » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:39 pm

Update! Clawdia has resurfaced and was apparently just destressing. They all let me clean off the tank glass and add to the leaf litter without flinching. Coconut even let me give her a little boost into the water bowl. (It wasn't in the substrate because they had dug around it, I fixed it though). Leonardo Dapinchi (who happens to be a female), apparently loves lichen, so much so instead if a moss pit i made a lichen pit! Clawdia has done a shell switch and Coconut switched shells while I was not a foot away with the tank lid open and my hand in the tank. They have settled in nicely and I hope I can update you again soon!

Topic author
Hermiecrab

Post by Hermiecrab » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:21 pm

Just a few new updates...

My smallest crab, (Coconut) was missing a leg when I bought her, a small gel sack has formed over the area where the leg should be, so i'm assuming she'll be going down for a molt soon! :banana: :shock:. Just added quikrete play sand to my eco earth substrate and me (and the crabs!) are loving it! again, thanks for the advice! :D

Topic author
Hermiecrab

Post by Hermiecrab » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:00 am

Leonardo DaPinchy is getting more comfortable! I thought I'd share exactly what I've been doing if you are interested.

1. I feed them certain foods (like honey) only when they are with me. (Positive reinforcement)!

2. I spend as much time around the tank as possible.

3. I handle sometimes. usually with food nearby! Coconut would take food directly from my hand from day 3. (I know now I shouldn't have been handling them then, but I didn't think about it when I first got them). And am working with Leo.

4. I spend time familiarizing them with my hands. Letting them examine my fingers and get used to them.

Also, has anyone noticed If you look a crab directly in the eyes they get very still and just stare back at you for a moment? It seems natural but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. (I think looking them into the eyes is good because the can see you and know you aren't going to hurt them).

Topic author
Hermiecrab

Post by Hermiecrab » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:31 pm

:lol: Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've been really busy, got a new crab (adopted) and is overall, in a very chaotic place rn :hlol:

Leonardo DaPinchi is doing great. I have him at a place where he def doesn't mind handling, but doesn't beg for attention either.

Coconut is awesome as well! She had been really active and doesn't mind handling much, but again doesn't beg for attention.

Clawdia is elusive as ever, and I've decided if she doesn't show herself much, that probably means I shouldn't be touching her.

The new crab is named Leo, but because I have a crab named Leonardo I gotta change it. VERY chill crab. Will sit on my hand, for like an eternity just chillin! Over all they are really good. I think crabs can get USED to handling, but I'm still trying to figure you if they can learn to enjoy it. :banana:

crabocado

Post by crabocado » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:17 pm

Hermiecrab wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:00 am
Leonardo DaPinchy is getting more comfortable! I thought I'd share exactly what I've been doing if you are interested.

1. I feed them certain foods (like honey) only when they are with me. (Positive reinforcement)!

2. I spend as much time around the tank as possible.

3. I handle sometimes. usually with food nearby! Coconut would take food directly from my hand from day 3. (I know now I shouldn't have been handling them then, but I didn't think about it when I first got them). And am working with Leo.

4. I spend time familiarizing them with my hands. Letting them examine my fingers and get used to them.

Also, has anyone noticed If you look a crab directly in the eyes they get very still and just stare back at you for a moment? It seems natural but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. (I think looking them into the eyes is good because the can see you and know you aren't going to hurt them).
I currently have my tank set up on my work desk (at home), really just because I didn't have space anywhere else, but it has the benefit that I can monitor my crab's activities while I am engaged in other things. It's probably also a good way to keep her accustomed to my presence, although in my case I take her out every evening anyway so it probably makes little difference.

Re: looking into a crab's eyes - maybe somebody here knows more about the acuity of vision in these crabs? I would tend to expect that they are responding mostly to our apparent overall size and proximity, rather than details about the face, expression, direction of gaze or anything like that. One thing I can add here, when my crab Busy is out and about in the house, and I catch her by surprise when I walk over her to shut a door or something - she sometimes "comes to a halt" in a rather comical, exaggerated way - kind of like somebody acting comically on a stage (or as a mime might do).

I feel like the window into crab's soul is probably in its antennae. After all, they have 4 of them, and they're constantly moving! Maybe somebody can put together a "dictionary" of what they are saying/thinking?

Topic author
Hermiecrab

Post by Hermiecrab » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:25 pm

That would be so amazing! The dictionary thing, I mean, haha. I want people to invent crabby leashes like they have for bearded dragons. Just taking my crab for a walk today, lalala.