Are Hermit Crabs Fun?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Are hermit crabs fun?

All the time!
62%
Sometimes
34%
Not much
3%
Never
No votes

Total votes: 29

Topic author

Are Hermit Crabs Fun?

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:40 pm

I'm new to hermit crabs and i wanted to know if they play and explore or do they bury themselves in the sand and stay there.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:01 pm

hermit crab are fun, but their is also work that goes into taking care of them properly. They are kind of like children. They have their ups and down's, but I wouldn't trade them in for anything.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:02 pm

It all depends on the individual crab. Some of my hermies are outgoing, and will climb & play constantly. Others, I rarely see.

I think it is important to have plenty of places for them to hide. I found that this cuts down on the amount of crabs that dig down during the day, and dig back up at night.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:04 pm

I have to agree 100% with Kathy since I added more stuff to my tank I see some of my guys up and about during the day even.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:37 pm

I have to agree with both Kathy and Feathercrabs the more plants and climbers I add the more active my tanks :) .

Ryanstein

Post by Ryanstein » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:09 am

In some of my original carbitats, Spirit, who can sometimes be a bit shy, would bury herself for no reason for about a month. Recently, I bought more plants. It helped a lot! :)
1 E, 1 PP, our dog Lekima, and our cat Ruby!

~Hermit Crabbing since December 2005~
~Fiddler Crabbing since August 2006~

Topic author
Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:06 pm

I honestly think they are fun no matter what because I simply enjoy watching their interaction with the environment and the other hermies.