Crazy Climbing!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author

Crazy Climbing!

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:28 pm

So, I hear a bit of racket coming from the crabitat, and I got to check out what it is. Well, somehow Spike (one of my smalls) has climbed up the net in the tank and is now suspended upside down on the wire lid to the tank. They are crazy little animals to watch!

Question: If he got himself up there, can he get himself back down again?? Or, should I be worried?

Also, because I have Saran wrap covering part of the lid, is he at any risk of ingesting it? His legs and pincher seem to be pretty occupied in hanging upside down at the moment, but just thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Scythan

Post by Scythan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:33 pm

Generally, if a crab can climb somewhere, they can also get down. If he gets stuck, he may choose to fall, which should be fine for smaller crabs.

Saran wrap is pretty safe, but keep an eye on it to see if it is ragged or being torn on.

BTW, is the wire lid plain metal? If it is, that can be very bad for crabs because rust is harmful to them.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:44 pm

:) My smallest E climbed up to my lid and worked his way all the way around the 'tat while hanging upside down. I, too, worried that he could not get down. Two hours later, he was on the sand and I have no idea how he got himself there!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:24 pm

My crabs are always hanging off the lid and scrabbling around! They seem to love it - or they are trying to escape.
Instead of saran wrap, I put a towel over my tank. You can always put a book or something on it to weight it down. It's also nice because you can wet the towel and keep the humidity up.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:22 pm

I was using saran wrap and switched to a towel. Then one time, and I'll never figure out how he did it, put I saw this little creature, no bigger than a dime, nonchalantly strolling across the length of the towel!! Back to saran wrap!

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:26 pm

Grammarcia wrote:I was using saran wrap and switched to a towel. Then one time, and I'll never figure out how he did it, put I saw this little creature, no bigger than a dime, nonchalantly strolling across the length of the towel!!...
Aww. That's sounds cute (and terrifying at the same time!)

rednerite

Post by rednerite » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:24 pm

my small E, Esmeralda LOVES to climb up the aquarium sealant in the corners of my tank to the top, and crawl upside down from the lid. I use saran wrap, and have never had a problem with it. She ignores it, just climbs around and basks under the lighting. Theyre very crafty little creatures...hehe
7 PPs: Arji, Ernie, Bert, Godzilla, Mothra, Shelley, Peewee
2 Violas: Alto, Clef