Crab bubbling at mouth area?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Hermie Lover

Crab bubbling at mouth area?

Post by Hermie Lover » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:59 pm

I hope to get some ideas from you all on this. I bought some new PP's from Petco about 2 weekends ago. They were generally active, and even changed shells when they came home. I have seen them eat, and drink, and be merry :P

This morning though, I seen one of them up on top of the drift wood. He was all wiggling his antenna and stuff, and I looked a little closer and seen clear, foamy bubbles all around his mouth area :(

I have seen this before, and I know it isn't good. Usually it's b/c of over heating, but my tank is not over 75-77*. And all the others are fine. I picked him up, and he had a little of the "smell" going on.

Should I be worried? Is this a for sure death sign? Or does he have a chance of making it???

Thanks....
Angela

Crabitats: 55L, 40B, 29L

Crabbin' since 97!
They are draining my savings!

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:47 pm

I usually heard that when crabs have that "smell" then are usually on the verge of passing away. I really hope this isnt the case. Sending good vibes to your hermie!!!! :)

Topic author
Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:02 pm

CamCam3 wrote:I usually heard that when crabs have that "smell" then are usually on the verge of passing away. I really hope this isnt the case. Sending good vibes to your hermie!!!! :)
I know, which is why I am pretty worried I may find the little guy dead when I get home. I hope he somehow pulls through. It seems he was doing so well :( Bubbling of the mouth area have always been a really bad sign in my experience.

Just hoping to hear someone out there has been through this, and their crabby pulled through somehow :(
Angela

Crabbin' since 97!

hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:13 pm

im so sorry to here about ur baby! i hope he pulls through for you, but as said, unfortunatley that is not a good sign. im sending good thoughs ur way!

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:48 pm

I wish I knew more about this condition. All I know is that it isnt good. I dont know what causes it though. I really hope your crab is ok.

troppo

Post by troppo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:52 pm

I've had a few crabs behave in this manner, blowing clear bubbles. I'm sure that it's due to stress rather than over-heating.
If the crab is allowed to hide away in a hut and bury down to destress, he/she should be fine :)
I haven't any crabs that have died from this.

hermietastic

Post by hermietastic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:29 pm

Oh, I hope she makes it for yeah! Sending good vibes! :)

Topic author
Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:45 am

Thanks for all of your replies!

I seen this little guy last night hanging out on the coconut. He didn't like the idea of me looking at him, so he scurried off!! He seemed very alive and alert, so now I am going to hope for the best!

He is about the size of a ping pong ball :)

Hoping he makes it!

Thanks for all of the encouragement :D
Angela

Crabbin' since 97!

philingroovie

Post by philingroovie » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:18 pm

how bout an update :D

Topic author
Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:45 am

:)

Well, this little guy is still running around...so I assume he is doing ok right now :) I am so happy to be able to report that to you all :)

Will keep you updated :) Thanks for replies :)
Angela

Crabbin' since 97!

troppo

Post by troppo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 am

That's great to hear Hermie-lover :D

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:04 am

The only time I've actually seen a crab bubbling is when a bad on-line store sent me two crabs in snake bags. I thought I heard at the time that crabs can bubble in low-humidity conditions -- that it's actually a sign of them suffocating. You didn't mention the RH in your first posting but your baby seems to be getting better, so I could be wrong :). Hope he continues to do well!

Ellinj0206

Post by Ellinj0206 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:05 pm

Yay Hermie! So glad to hear the little guy is doing well. Sounds to me like he's probably in the clear.

Hooray!
Check out El's Shells: http://www.elsshells.com for all of your hermit crab food and shell needs!All-natural, certified organic food and an outstanding selection of shells and crabitat necessities---all at great prices!!

Topic author
Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:43 am

I had heard bubbles meant that the crab was over heating. Either way, he seems to be doing better now. I just hope he doesn't go through that again. It hurts me to see them suffer.

Thanks for all the support!!!

:D
Angela

Crabbin' since 97!

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:43 pm

I once had this happen when I first got into strawberries. Unfortunately he did not make it, I assume it was because I went a little over board on the Heat/humidity that I heard strawberries require. But I changed my techniques for creating heat and hum and both my straws are doing great and molting normal so its all good.

from what I gather, the bubbles that have "brown" liquid mixed with the bubbles are the fatal type while small clear bubbles tend to not be fatal.