Daria Lost A Leg

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:32 pm

I'm sorry for your loss. [smilie=comfort.gif]

Topic author
Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm

I habe to throw out my hermies, but mommy makes me throw them out in the trash. :(
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Christa

Post by Christa » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:03 pm

I've always given mine a "burial at sea", that is, flush down the commode. That was with the smaller crabs Sure they're in there with sewage and all but at least they don't get smushed in the trash compactor. The jumbos got a full burial, or put into the Potomac River in Washington DC. Now that we moved I guess I'll have to bury them in the Blackstone River or in the local pond here.

hc!
Christa
~~ The HCA ~~ the original and still the best -- ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS
Ting-Tang (Walla walla bing bang!)
Crabbing since 1974
http://www.hermit-crabs.com

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:03 pm

My parents were the same when I lived at home. They feared multiple grave sites lining the yard considering my brother and I are both bleeding hearts and had a habit of taking in more animals than we should have. (Not counting fish or babies from taking in pregnant animals, we once had 32 animals in our house... My parents were very patient...) Later in life, when you are on your own, living under your own roof and own the property you will potentially be digging up, you can change that to suit your liking. :) It just takes patience and understanding at this point. :)

Topic author
Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:28 pm

Ya... a LOT of patience and a LOT of understanding. And I must say... you are definately addicted to animals! :shock:
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:35 pm

You have no idea... We've owned everything from ducks, to Canadian geese (you require a liscence to house them), to billy goats, to rats, to cats, to hamsters, to snakes, to lizards.... The list goes on and on... I'll admit to the ducks being my fault, but the Canadian goose and billy goats were Ben's (my brother's) doing!! lol

Topic author
Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:36 pm

Whoa. :shock: Did you keep them all in your house?
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:39 pm

... Yes... :oops: See... VERY understanding and patient parents. lol

EGcrabber

Post by EGcrabber » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Sorry for your loss! :( Its always really depressing to see a crab go. Especially the ones you've had a long time. Everthing in your tat seems to be okay though, but I would really suggest dechlorinating your water, or at least using bottled.
One medium PP: Gizmo

May you rest in peace, Stark, Blue lightning, Rivulet, Floyd, Shocker, Scyfer, Brad, Weasel, and Farik
10 successful molts
2 bad

Topic author
Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:51 pm

I try to use bottled water when we've got some. :)
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:08 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Daria, it's a really lousy feeling :(
One of the two I bought yesterday dropped legs and passed away this morning. The other is doing fine so far, he was climbing around and eating from the larger food dish.
I knew it was risk just because they were so big, I don't know if this is common?..but so far the smaller ones seem to adapt better.

I'm sure you took excellent care of Daria in the very short time you had.