How do you know that the cellar dwellers are OK?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
MamaZelly

How do you know that the cellar dwellers are OK?

Post by MamaZelly » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:20 pm

I guess the title says it all....I have one that has been digging tunnels since we brought him home two days ago. Yesterday he was making a racket--chirping and grumbling while he dug. Today: Silence. No sounds of digging anymore, either.

How can I tell if he's okay under there?
ZellyBelly, Mama to Sophie & Gus (the human babies).

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:51 pm

They are really good at living underground, when I started I was scared as heck about it... now, well, if they're under and there is no fishy smell then everyone is most likely ok.

It's totally normal behavior

Topic author
MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanks, Josh.I guess I'll just have to get used to it!!

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:22 pm

You do get used to them disappearing. Every single one of my new crabs(except for the large/jumbo ones that don't molt often) digs down and molts w/in a month of coming home. Usually, it's w/in days. I don't really consider a new crab really there until it comes up from that first molt. :P

I have found that it helps to have several crabs to keep the tat "alive." :wink: I also have peace of mind by keeping a chart where I just check off each crab if it has been seen that day. If a week has passed w/out me seeing them, they are usually molting. (Yesterday, I had 2 come up from being under for 3 wks. :D ) I used to just guess how long it felt they had been gone. Plus, it gives me something to do while I'm sitting there watching them. (My E Jack is acting funny, like he might molt or isn't feeling well, so I can look back at my charts to see how long it has been since he last molted. I think he's due...figures since I want to move him to his new home next week.:roll: ) Sorry, I tend to ramble. :oops:

Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:54 pm

Wait until you have crabs during the winter months. They will burrow closer to the UTH and you might see them for days. I started using a sunglo bulb last fall and that keeps the tank warm enough so that they don't bury as much.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:10 pm

My crabs are ALWAYS buried. Not dead, just under the sand. Yesterday, my E dug up someone who I had not seen for about a year. He/she is alive and well, but he used to be my friendliest crab and now he is scared to death of me...

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:57 pm

I rarely see my crabs topside. So, to answer your question about how you know if they're ok - the only answer is you don't unless they have given you a nice window to see them. I've had mine die when they were under from a bad molt and I had no idea until I cleaned and found an empty shell. I've only smelt the fishy smell when a crab has died topside. Especially since I use EE and it decomposes anything. I'm not sure how many crabs I have that are alive right now. I used to have 9, I know one died, but I've only seen four within the last month. It's a little frustrating, but you get used to it.

Rhoney

Post by Rhoney » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:52 pm

lately ive had bad luck i have 2 topside and a total of 4 have died, cuz my 1 E digs around dead guys and brings them up fro some reason, but i have 2 of 4 topsdie and the other 2 have not been seen in months
Currently No Hermit Crabs until I am out of college, but I have over 5 years of crabbing experience, and much advice to offer :)

jarratthead

Post by jarratthead » Sat May 03, 2008 7:24 am

Wow, I can really empathize with your situation. Mine have been under for 6 weeks. One made a guest appearance the other day, but wouldn't come out and see me. Now he's gone again.

I just make sure my other animals are friendlier so I don't miss these guys so much!! Maybe as it warms up they'll show their sweet little faces again!
Crabs: 4??
Mammals & such: 2 dogs, 3 cats, 1 rabbit, 6 guinea pigs, & 1 very understanding husband.

Topic author
MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Mon May 05, 2008 7:48 am

I just have to resist the urge to get another one or two...They've ALL gone under now. We've had them for one week, and now we're looking at an empty tank!

Shelly, who has been my brave one for the last few days, has been poking around in the spare shells, trying them all on (I have 12 of varying sizes, shapes, and weights in there at the moment), but not choosing any. After trying them all on again last night, he dug in and disappeared.

Is he stressed out from not finding a shell he likes? I ordered a 10-pack and a few singles from Crabbage Patch, and they are lovely, smooth, clean, boiled shells. Why doesn't he like them? :cry:

jarratthead

Post by jarratthead » Mon May 05, 2008 8:37 am

Mine are soooooooooooooo sneaky. Last night I saw one eating, and one hanging off his hermie hut at like 1:30. They don't come out unless it is super late. So unless I am having a bout of insomnia, I never see them at all. One of the tunnels must have caved in, and there is a shell in the hole. I wish they'd at least throw me a bone and show themselves at 11 pm or midnight. But...nope. So, I am delighted that at least some of them are alive, just confused as to why they hate me!!!

On the flip side, all of my 7 guinea pigs "wheak" with delight when I walk by in the morning. A little bit of spring mix and some carrots --- it's all they want for happiness! :D
Crabs: 4??
Mammals & such: 2 dogs, 3 cats, 1 rabbit, 6 guinea pigs, & 1 very understanding husband.

Post by Guest » Mon May 05, 2008 10:18 am

Mama, He'll come around with the shells, sometimes they just get super picky about trying them on. If they seem really uninterested in them you could always try taking the shells out and boiling them again, sometimes that new shell "smell" gets them interested in old shells again.

Topic author
MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Mon May 05, 2008 11:01 am

"New Shell Smell...."

Hee hee...Can I get that in a little tree-shaped hangie thingie?? :lol:

Post by Guest » Mon May 05, 2008 11:46 am

:lol: That would be too funny, little shell shaped air fresheners for tiny hermit sized cars :lol:

Post by Guest » Mon May 05, 2008 3:28 pm

I always feel like I'm offering the wrong shells or something so I keep rotating a new batch in every few weeks so they don't have to same ones every day to choose from