Alpha crabs

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Is your alpha crab male or female?

Male
8%
Female
50%
Don't know
8%
I've had both
33%

Total votes: 12

Topic author

Alpha crabs

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:37 pm

I've gendered all but one of my PP's so far, and I was sort of surprised to find out that Hector, my alpha crab, is female. I was curious if anyone noticed a trend as far as gender and alpha/subordinate goes?

MacandHunter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by MacandHunter » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:05 pm

I have had male and female. I'm not sure if gender plays much of a role in this or not. Never thought about it! I'll be interested to see the poll results. :)
Crabbing since 7/4/04 - 10 years!
I'm not asking salvation from you - I'm just asking to be safe for a while
make it easy - make this easy
it's not as heavy as it seems
wrapped in metal -wrapped in ivy - painted in mint ice cream

eregel

Post by eregel » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:07 pm

My alpha is hiding at the moment, but when he or she re-emerges I'll try and figure out the gender thing. Honestly, until I read the FAQ here, I didn't even know you COULD tell them apart! My current quest, though, is to try and figure out what species all my crabs are - the explanation of how to tell them apart confuses the heck out of me.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:23 pm

In one tat Lurr in the Alpha crab and she is female, and in the other tat scruffy is the alpha crab and to the best of my knowledge she is a female (not 100% sure)