Question about E's

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Vasliki

Question about E's

Post by Vasliki » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:03 pm

For a long time now I've wanted E's. They're absolutely adorable and I am in love with their characters. However, I am hesitating lately on my pursuit of getting E's. Currently in my tank I have 5 PPs and a Large Straw. My tank is 55g. As I keep reading, I'm starting to realize just how actively E's dig.

So, do you have problems with your E's disturbing molters? So far I've only had dozens of successful molts. I've never had to remove a crab to ISO for molting. But I'm kind of wondering if that's what I'd have to do if I got E's.

What are your opinions of your E's? Do you have problems with them? I know they are tank destroyers (or rather, 're-arrangers') but what kind of other problems do you face with them?
2 years * 55 gallon bow front
---------------------------
~Apollo (pic)~*~ Little One (pic)~*~ Blue ~*~ Soup (pic)~*~ Peach (pic)~*~ Citizen Snips (pic)~*~ Zoidberg (pic)~*~ Clamps (pic) ~ Coral (RIP) ~ Red (RIP) ~

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Question about E's

Post by wodesorel » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:19 pm

I've had a lot of trouble with my Es. :| My working theory is that they're disturbing each other when it comes time to molt by digging, either damaging the molters or stressing them out so much that they hold off too long on their molt and then die. I had 16 Es at one time, all established crabs who had one molt withe me, and now I'm down to only 6. :( I even have a species only tank for them! And I've never had any problems with PP colony, just with the Es. Any molter I've removed (easier said than done) has survived and thrived - the crabs I've lost have either been molting or have been way overdue and wouldn't stay down. I have a 55G that I'm working to get ready so I can move the remaining six crabs over so they have more space and deeper substrate. I'm hoping that with more floor space and deeper mixed substrate will give them more options to hide when molting and more areas to burn off energy. I'd like to get more Es, but I have a feeling that those 6 will be plenty enough for the 55G.

I also really think that it comes down to the crab itself whether or not you'll end up having trouble. There are many members here who keep mixed tanks with no problems. There have been others though who have had issues with their Es, so I know I'm not alone either. I don't want to scare you, since there's a really good chance that everything will be fine and nothing will happen. :) But if it where me asking, I'd really want to know when it has gone wrong so I'm prepared in case something does happen.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

nibbler125

Post by nibbler125 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:29 am

they are quite the mole crabs but what you can do is cut a 2 liter bottle in half and push it into the sand where the molter is all the way to the bottom. But mine are quite respectful of molters iv seen them mutable times get near a molting crab and then turn away or surface.

shreder75

Post by shreder75 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:06 am

the two liter bottle idea sounds good..but what if you don't know exactly where a molter is?

this thread has me interested because my newest crap a PP went down about a week after I got him and he's been down for probably going on two weeks now...I THINK I know where he's at..and I saw my one E dig around that area a few times...of course that E's been mia as well for the past three or so days..and I think I know where he's at..but it's hard to be sure...

I haven't noticed any odd smells in the tat so I'm assuming no news is good news
Scotty (PP), Crabby ii (PP), Mr. Anderson ii (PP--RIP), Capt. Kirk (E), Mr. Spock (E), Dizzy the dog (Sheltie-Eskimo mix)

SaPen

Post by SaPen » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:22 am

As far as I know my Es have caused no problems with molters. I've only had one molter die and he was brand new so anything could have caused that. But I only have three Es. The only thing my Es do that bother me are caused giant sink holes under the shells which then become buried. But they are so entertaining that it's definitely worth it.
Rhea: Female Ecuadorian (2010)
Eurybia: Female Ecuadorian (2011)
Zephyr: Male Ecuadorian (2012)
Apollo :Male Purple Pincher (Summer 2013)

~Crabbing since September 2008~

shreder75

Post by shreder75 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:53 am

SaPen wrote:As far as I know my Es have caused no problems with molters. I've only had one molter die and he was brand new so anything could have caused that. But I only have three Es. The only thing my Es do that bother me are caused giant sink holes under the shells which then become buried. But they are so entertaining that it's definitely worth it.
my one that's up has been doing the same thing! I have a second story shell shop but I also have shells under it on the sub because I have a lot of shells...I was going in there and tidying it up but I've given up on that...lol
Scotty (PP), Crabby ii (PP), Mr. Anderson ii (PP--RIP), Capt. Kirk (E), Mr. Spock (E), Dizzy the dog (Sheltie-Eskimo mix)

Kristy

Post by Kristy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 am

My E's are not very active. Most are burried right now. They are still pretty new to my tank tho. So they could be destressing and molting. I had one PP down molting when I introduced most of them and none bothered her.
I Love My ARMY Man & I'm a Proud Mom to:
Skin Kids: Cassie (11), Kailey (9), CJ (6), Kristopher (4)
Fur Kids: Lexi (Yorkie) and Sissy (Russian Blue)
Aquatic Kids: 55g with 5 PP's, 7 E's and Betta (Betta fish)