Why do they turn shy?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
RedbirdFL

Why do they turn shy?

Post by RedbirdFL » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:32 pm

My crabs seem to go through phases in their personalities. It used to be that Tobias and Luna were always out and about and it didn't bother them when I looked in the tank. But now they both hide most of the day and if they see me, they run like I'm attacking them. As far as I know, nothing much has changed in the tank. They seemed to change personalities after a molt.

And when I bought Parker in January, he was trying to escape from the tank at Pet Superstore. He didn't seem to be shy at all. And I had him in a tupperware container overnight before I could get him home. He didn't seem shy in that either. But once I put him in my tank, he dug down after 24 hours and I've barely seen him since then. I did get a glimpse of him a couple of mornings ago. But he seemed scared to death of me and buried down almost immediately.

Is that normal for hermit crabs to go through personality changes? Is there anything I can do to make them less shy, or at re-convert the ones that used to not be shy?
3 E's - Blaise, Tobias, Parker
7 PP's - Casey, Fred, George, Luna, Neville, Dobby, Winky
2 cats - Smokey (British shorthair), Zoe (tortoiseshell calico)
1 great husband, 1 great son/DIL, 1 great daughter

Help a college girl and visit my daughter's etsy shop: http://www.rronk.etsy.com

Paws&Claws

Re: Why do they turn shy?

Post by Paws&Claws » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:36 pm

My crab is very shy also, but he seems to be getting used to me peeking in or changing food/water ect. I think that over a longer period of time they get used to the fact that you're not a predator.
2 PP's: Keo and Conan the Conqueror
1 E: Cosmo

Opt to adopt crabs! Don't take them out of the wild by ordering them online or buying them from pet stores!

Vasliki

Post by Vasliki » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:45 pm

My crabs always go 'super shy' after their molts. It takes them a while to settle back into how they used to behave. I have one crab that has never settled. Her name is Blue. She's gorgeous, but flinchy and very flighty. Instantly withdraws into her shell if I so much as walk by the tank.

The rest seem to 'mellow' a few weeks after their molt. Just give it some time, and make sure they have lots of places to 'hide' and feel secure.
2 years * 55 gallon bow front
---------------------------
~Apollo (pic)~*~ Little One (pic)~*~ Blue ~*~ Soup (pic)~*~ Peach (pic)~*~ Citizen Snips (pic)~*~ Zoidberg (pic)~*~ Clamps (pic) ~ Coral (RIP) ~ Red (RIP) ~

Goliat6288

Post by Goliat6288 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:56 pm

im guessing handling them would also help them get used to you. ive Green Lantern twice since i got him and he seems less shy. before the sight of me would make him retreat into his shell. now i can get close to the tank but i have to move very slowly, and all he does is freeze in the position he is in. if i remove the lid in his shell he goes.
2 PPs
Green Lantern and Ariel... for now

kuza

Post by kuza » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:02 pm

I think it's instinct for them to be more afraid after a molt, since they take a while to get back to normal. I find the darker they get the less skittish they are again. Also, do you keep lights on in the room while you watch them? I find if it's nice and dark in the room and only the tank is lite inside, then they can't see me as good. If there's any sort of light behind me, it freaks them out!

Goliat6288

Post by Goliat6288 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:05 pm

ive found what kuza just said to be true.
2 PPs
Green Lantern and Ariel... for now