Climbing affected by molting?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
whatthemath

Climbing affected by molting?

Post by whatthemath » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:43 am

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater
I woke up this morning and checked on the crabbies before I went to my first final! :O
And this is what I found! :D It's the first time I've seen any of my crabs climb on anyhing but the coco hut since I have had them [2 months, roughly]. Glad I no longer feel as though I wasted my money on things for them to climb on. Haha.
Anywho, this little guy [Sebastian, I'm pretty sure], just came up from a molt! My first molt ever. :o And now he's climbing. I know when they come up from a molt, the ends of their legs become sharper. I'm just wondering if anyone notices any changes in climbing behaviour before/after a molt?

P.S. I even got to see him climbing down from the wood upside down! Which is a big deal to me. Hahaah. I've never seen them climb at all, let alone upside down. It's adorable!! :3
"Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." - Dalai Lama

Topic author
whatthemath

Re: Climbing affected by molting?

Post by whatthemath » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:49 am

Oh, I might add: he has been digging around in the shells for a while now. Even before his molt, but I guess I don't have his perfect fit. I think he's been messing with the babylona shells, as two of them are now in the sand... I hope he decides to change into one of them. I quite fancy them actually! Anywho, I can't tell if he's tried them on or if he's just been digging through the shell pile, but it would be nice to see a shell change in person. :D
"Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." - Dalai Lama

kuza

Post by kuza » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:53 am

it's a great experience, and I never tire of it. Glad they are getting around everywhere.

jessigurl_31

Post by jessigurl_31 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:18 am

Do you have calci sand in your tat? I only have one lil guy that will climb and he tears eveything up but he is hte smallest one. well right now I actually have 3 out of 4 that has been buried for bout 2 weeks but he ususally is a mess maker
My son Kameron is 5 yrs old and rotten as can be. I have 4 pp's Mario, luigi, toadstool, Baryonyx. I have two dogs Boss, and julio.

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/jessigurl_31/

Topic author
whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:41 am

jessigurl_31 wrote:Do you have calci sand in your tat? I only have one lil guy that will climb and he tears eveything up but he is hte smallest one. well right now I actually have 3 out of 4 that has been buried for bout 2 weeks but he ususally is a mess maker
I do. >.>
But I go home in four days and I had already bought a giant bag of play sand that's been there waiting for me. ^^
Besides, my 'tat is mostly EE, and of the sand that I do have, I'd say only 1/5 is calci-sand. Don't worry, it's getting switched out in a few days. c:

Noa

Post by Noa » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Yay for climbing!! I can't see the picture right now as I am on a work computer and they block Facebook BOO :evil: ! But it is awesome that he is climbing :banana: I have one who started climbing last night :D I've got to get some pics of him.
Mommy of: 2 Snakes, 3 Dogs
2 Birds, 2 Fire belly Newts
2 Gold Fish, 2 Guinea Pigs
5 Hermit Crabs, 1 Bearded Dragon
and 2 human boys!

jessigurl_31

Post by jessigurl_31 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:19 pm

whatthemath wrote: I do. >.>
But I go home in four days and I had already bought a giant bag of play sand that's been there waiting for me. ^^
Besides, my 'tat is mostly EE, and of the sand that I do have, I'd say only 1/5 is calci-sand. Don't worry, it's getting switched out in a few days. c:

ok I was just wondering cause when I first started out I had bought and filled my tank with nothing but calcisand and I was told to redo. glad you are changing it.
My son Kameron is 5 yrs old and rotten as can be. I have 4 pp's Mario, luigi, toadstool, Baryonyx. I have two dogs Boss, and julio.

Topic author
whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:21 pm

jessigurl_31 wrote:
ok I was just wondering cause when I first started out I had bought and filled my tank with nothing but calcisand and I was told to redo. glad you are changing it.
That must have been an expensive project. D: I'm glad I found out that play sand works best before I completely filled it. :/
Noa wrote:Yay for climbing!! I can't see the picture right now as I am on a work computer and they block Facebook BOO :evil: ! But it is awesome that he is climbing :banana: I have one who started climbing last night :D I've got to get some pics of him.
Boo, that does suck! >:[ It's just one of my hermies on a... I think it's a grapevine branch. I don't remember! But I saw your pictures and they're lovely! :D

jessigurl_31

Post by jessigurl_31 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:47 am

Yeah it was an i was sad when I poured it out on the ground so I could put new play sand in the tat, especially now that my bf brought our son in a turtle and i could have used it lol. oh and we just acquired a turtle :)

Topic author
whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Tue May 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Oh really? :D Thats awesome! Have you named it yet? I always wanted a turtle. My brother wants one too. He's only 8, but maybe when he gets older I'll get him a turtle and everything for his birthday. ;D My mom always said no because "turtles carry diseases." >.>

jessigurl_31

Post by jessigurl_31 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:15 pm

no, no name yet. he is a painted tutrle, has yellow stripes on him. gotta get all the necessities for him now too, my mom said i just need to open a petting zoo of repitles lol. Reason for that is I'm attempting to adopt 12 more pp's. :) if the weather stays good she is going to ship them to me I am oober excited lol

sontron

Post by sontron » Tue May 01, 2012 2:22 pm

^We have a red-eared slider. Just remember, if you want to keep the thing until it dies of old age, be prepared. We got one when it was the size of a quarter. Now, it is as long as a Frisbee, about half as wide. So, yeah. Just be ready.
And back on topic. My crabs never climb anything but their log hut and occasionally the cocofiber wall when they get stuck behind the log hut >_<
3 PPs, pluto, hermes, and uranus
2 Es, Poseidon and Atlas
1 Emperor scorpion, Erebus

Topic author
whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Tue May 01, 2012 2:46 pm

Cute! :D I love reptiles. My friend had one of the tiny alligators once. She was adorable! ^O^
I have a cocofiber wall too. :c Does it help your humidity? Mine plummets when I turn the heat lamp on in the day, so I spray the cocofiber but I don't really notice an effect. Do you somewhat soak it like moss?
Also, mine don't climb on the cocofiber. :/
I did get a video of Marcel last night. He was climbing up the branch and got up close to the camera and started wiggling his feelers at it. Like he was saying hello! x]

sontron

Post by sontron » Thu May 03, 2012 3:09 pm

^Actually, I'm trying to video my hermit crab right now. I saw him sitting on top of an overturned shell, so i thought he may be trying to find a new one. So, I set up a camera an am waiting with the hopes that he will change
3 PPs, pluto, hermes, and uranus
2 Es, Poseidon and Atlas
1 Emperor scorpion, Erebus

Topic author
whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Thu May 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Awesome! That would be cool! My shells are all over the tat. I guess one guy is trying to find a new shell but doesn't like any if the ones I have. I can't even tell if he has tried them on if just rummaged through them. But I haven't seen a shell change yet. :l
If you get a video, post it!! :D