Climbing affected by molting?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

kuza

Re: Climbing affected by molting?

Post by kuza » Thu May 03, 2012 5:02 pm

I've caught a few of mine on video now, this is Uno who just went down to molt a couple days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edsVPyCobPk

Topic author
whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Thu May 03, 2012 5:21 pm

I wasn't sure which shell to be looking at for a bit. x] I thought he wad in the one he ended up changing into... They're so smooth with their shell changes. :D it always amazes me how intriguing these little guys are. ^^
"Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." - Dalai Lama

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:32 am

I would personally suggest a tortiose over a turtle. I have owned and love both but water turtles require 10 gallons per inch of shell and many can get rather large. Even small ones often require a min of forty gallons. Then there is heating. Russian tortoises need a forty gallon but I take mine out to ex resize all the time and he gets to eat outside the tank. Tortoises are also less pron to many diseases that turtles can get. All reptiles carry salmonella. I just always wash my hands after handling and only let children over five handle him. The main worry is children putting them in their mouth. I think salmonella I'd sometimes in their poop. I am not sure all reptiles even carry it. But again, just keep hands clean and it's not a problem. They are incredible pets
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:44 am

Sorry that was so long. I love reptiles too :) that is so exciting you saw the climbing! So adorable. Plus congrats on successful molt. I am so nervous for my first molting hermit. Every time someone sees their crab return it seems so exciting and releaving at the same time
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

Topic author
whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Fri May 04, 2012 3:51 am

Agreed, Sky! :D He is a climbing fiend now that he molted!

But I love reptiles! :D I have a while to think about getting him one. If he is still interested in years to come it will probably happen. :D
"Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." - Dalai Lama

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:55 am

You sound like an awesome sister! He is very lucky :) Its funny because I came to this site for my love of hermit crabs and their care, I never thought I would also find fellow reptile lovers. Pet stores seem to know though, they're always right next to each other lolz

Topic author
whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Fri May 04, 2012 9:43 am

Haha it PetSmart here in my college town they crabbies are with the fish and frogs. :O
But at my PetCo they're with the reptiles. My roommate is obsessed with geckos. She's getting a crested gecko this summer... SOOOOOOO cute!! :D

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:24 pm

IIIIIIIII AMMMMMMM SOOOOOO JEALOUS! Those are so cute!

sontron

Post by sontron » Tue May 15, 2012 2:49 pm

I lost most of my sense of a liking for geckos after the lady at a petco gave us a "tour" of the place, and one literally lept off the wall to bite her.
3 PPs, pluto, hermes, and uranus
2 Es, Poseidon and Atlas
1 Emperor scorpion, Erebus