need some of your guys input

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Crabigail

need some of your guys input

Post by Crabigail » Fri May 18, 2012 1:26 am

My boyfriend is freaking out that my bigger crabs are being bullys to the little guys by pushing them around and out of the way, I tried to explain this is how the crabs establish pecking order. He seems to think that this is bullying and is caused by me taking them out to greet me. So I would like to get some of my fellow crabbers input to show him that these crabs are not attacking eachother. Would be greatly appreciated :)
6 PP's - Chopper,Peekee,Bash,Pinch,Trip,Sketch
5 Ruggies -
Emilio, Biggie smalls, tupac, Harley, Davidson

2 Straws -
Ginger , Strawberry

wolfnipplechips

Re: need some of your guys input

Post by wolfnipplechips » Fri May 18, 2012 2:14 am

As long as you are feeding lots of animal protein and calcium, and offering many shells, small fight should not worry you at all. Just gotta keep an eye on them, and only take action when it starts getting nasty. Just pushing is typical crab behavior. :) I don't think they take offense to it like humans would. They may just smell a little different coming back into the tank, so the others push to tell them they are in charge (like you said-pecking order).
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

beccaviolett

Post by beccaviolett » Fri May 18, 2012 10:16 am

My larger guys do that to my teeny too sometimes, but i think theyre just playing because they stop after a couple of minutes, i hear no chirping, and noones ever gotten hurt.
I think your crabs are doing just fine hehe
14 PP's; Shortcake, MacBeth, Itsy, Spazz, and 9 unamed babies!
7 Es; berry, sandy, lauderdale & cream
RIP; Joules De Lorian, Chum Lee, Santa, 2 unnamed Es
1 Kitty; Lynx
2 Rats; Mocha and Vanilla

mrscrabmadness

Post by mrscrabmadness » Fri May 18, 2012 10:46 am

I have 2 that are just now doing this after having crabby paddy & shell lea for 5 years are being big time bullys to one I just got a few months ago after everything has been fine and kosher..all the sudden they are chasing him, sitting on him, pulling at him if he tries to get out of the shower caddy. he tries to dig under to get away they go after him.. it's not like they don't get fed tons of dif foods and there is always cuttle bone in the tank, mine are not meat eaters, but they like peanut butter, and eggs. maybe i will try raw meat? They don't like cooked meat. I finally took the 2 of them and put them in iso, it's a small tank for the size of them, but my tortured little crab had dug himself under trying to escape from them and they were going after him even after I blocked and put stuff over him, they were going for him! if any one has any advice for me for my situation you can p.m. please!!!!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat May 19, 2012 12:17 am

Are they doing it over food dishes or hiding spots? I've had to start using multiples of each, since the big guys sometimes get it into their head to guard a doorway or a dish and keep the little ones away.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

kuza

Post by kuza » Sat May 19, 2012 12:38 am

my crabs bash and knock each other over all the time and I never take them out. I think it's pretty normal. They never go too far.