How long does de-stressing take?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
ShinyDragonfly

Re: How long does de-stressing take?

Post by ShinyDragonfly » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:49 am

Shakespeare didn't make it. I found him dead Saturday (the 25th) night. So I had him for 15 days. He was still under warranty so we went and got a new one, Phoenix. He's really skittish but he did come out in my hand after giving him a bath and again when I picked him up later. He explored the crabitat a bit and then burried himself in the same corner Shakespeare had been in. Connor was underground all day yesterday.

I do have a temp and humidity gauge and they are usually perfect. I'm always adjusting to keep it as good as I can. Phoenix seems to be missing a leg so I figure it should be easy enough to tell when he's going to molt as the leg will start growing back.
Mother of two <3

3 PP's- Camo, Joe, George
2 fish tanks
1 Kitty cat
Avid houseplant grower

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:40 pm

Sorry Shakespeare didn't make it. Sometimes all the stress of all the moves is just too much for them.

Good luck with Phoenix!
Owner of 4 PPs

Topic author
ShinyDragonfly

Post by ShinyDragonfly » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:09 pm

I hope Phoenix adjusts better. I think I saw him eat today after I held him a bit. After 5 or more minutes he'll come out and walk around. He get scared at the smallest movement but he usually recovers pretty quickly after he comes out the first time.
Mother of two <3

3 PP's- Camo, Joe, George
2 fish tanks
1 Kitty cat
Avid houseplant grower