I don't know where exactly to put this.

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
amcniel94

I don't know where exactly to put this.

Post by amcniel94 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:12 pm

But, I just found out that Ivory is a boy. Should I keep his name or change it? Now I know the genders of 2 out of 3 crabs. Bruiser will be identified later tonight, hopefully! Ivory and Ganesh are both boys. I've got a sneaky suspicion that Bruiser's a 'she.' We will see.

Mama of 3 PPs (Ganesh, Ivory, and Bruiser) and a pup named Smurf.
Proud Mama of Ganesh, Ivory, Bruiser and Smurf (dog).

mimirabbit

Re: I don't know where exactly to put this.

Post by mimirabbit » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:15 am

"Ivory" sounds pretty gender neutral to me, not to mention it's a beautiful name! I think you should keep it especially if you're used to it and it suits the crab :)
Owner of two hermit crabs (Old Bay and Kelp), one cat (Misty), and one leopard gecko (Edwardo). Feel free to message! ヽ(ΦωΦヽ)

Topic author
amcniel94

Post by amcniel94 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:17 am

It was based off his shell, and yeah, I'm used to it. He had a different name but I forgot it...I'm the one that named him -_- Ivory just stuck. Bruiser still won't let me identify him so I'm jut going to leave him be.

pearl29mi

Post by pearl29mi » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:20 pm

I would keep it. In my opinion "Ivory" sounds like it could be both genders :lol:
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

Topic author
amcniel94

Post by amcniel94 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:25 pm

Yeah, Ivory it is then. :) before, I had four (Bruiser and Ivory being of those four) and they all had sorta elemental names; Pangea, Dorian, Arani, and Nimbus. Well, I never actually pointed to the crabs and said "You're Dorian, You're Arani" and so on so the names never stuck. Then, two died, one by drowning his self after walking around naked for three days (I was in class when he drowned himself) and the other tried to surface molt and another crab attacked it before I could isolate. So, Bruiser and Ivory were the last two of those four and now have names.

Topic author
amcniel94

Post by amcniel94 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:37 pm

Well, every time I look at Ivory, I want to call him Akasha. I used to have a crab, five years ago when I started out with little experience, named Akasha. Akasha did good for about two years then he died :(
Thinking of the deplorable conditions Akasha was in with me, I'm genuinely surprised they lasted that long. I was a terrible owner. Anyway, every time I look at Ivory, I'm reminded of Akasha. So, I think I'm gonna change his name to that.

Mama of 4 PPs (Ganesh, Ivory, Vulcan and Bruiser) and a pup named Smurf.

khs12

Post by khs12 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:37 pm

Don't worry, I just bought 2 new crabs yesterday, Patrice and Izzy, and I have NO idea if they are actually girls! :lol: I think Patrice is but Izzy seems very hairy which I read is a sign of a male.
Mommy of 3 PP crabbies: Nickademus, Izzy, and Patrice.

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:46 pm

I think the hair is just a sign of a recent molt...they come up with sharp nails and little black hairs.

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 4 crabs (Balla, Spot, Twitch & Big Shug)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:11 pm

khs12 wrote:Don't worry, I just bought 2 new crabs yesterday, Patrice and Izzy, and I have NO idea if they are actually girls! Image I think Patrice is but Izzy seems very hairy which I read is a sign of a male.
All hermit crabs are hairy. The hair is called setae and the tufts on their legs actually help them collect water. Land hermit crab gender can be determined by looking for two tiny little round dots called gonopores.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk