Confused??

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
TheLocalCrabber

Confused??

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:12 am

Lately every one of my crabs except my largest who is also the alpha of tank have been under the salt water bowl. Some of them have been under from a month or two too a few weeks. Numnumvhas charlie on top of him, and then my two females Monday and Sticky are next to Dubbs who I think is a male not sure. Then my alpha tries to huddle in next to the two females and Dubbs and you dont see them except occasionally when my alpha or one or both of the two females are out. Any help?

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

cRABB3R&w[]FE

Re: Confused??

Post by cRABB3R&w[]FE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:52 pm

Crabs are nocturnal for one thing and many crabbers commonly complain about their crabs doing nothing at all during the day.

The other things to consider would be, conditions of the tat, diet of the crabs, and is there anything fun for the crabs to do of course.

Make sure your temps are 75+ and 80%+ humidity my crabs are much more active at warmer temps but make sure they can excape it on one side of the tank if they choose to.

Healthy diet of course so they have energy to live well, if they don't have the fundamentals it is not likely that a crab will use energy on anything except for maintaining as much health as possible meaning no play time.... There are tons of good articles on food here but main thing is feed the crabs real food, not commercial pet food, it is nearly all toxic to crabs...

Lastly is the fun factor of you tat, I have found that rotating in new "play equipment" every two to three weeks really keeps the tank more lively. The only time that I don't like to make changes like this is if for some reason I have a stressed crab I feel then I wait for it to be a happy crab again :crabbigsmile:

Hope this helps
cRABB3R

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Confused??

Post by wodesorel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Hows' the hide situation in the tank? Other types of cover so they aren't out int he open? Humidity level? They could be crowding under there because they feel it's the safest location, or they could be doing it because it's the only humid place where they are comfortable.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram