Normal digger?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
OkiProcoJ

Normal digger?

Post by OkiProcoJ » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:30 am

Hello again! Ok so I have 3PPs in a 40 gal tank. One small,medium and kinda large :). My medium(proco) and large(jasper) went down for a molt about a month ago. The smallest (oki) has been having a blast. But my question is... Proco has poped up but continues to dig and move underground. He's like a gopher. I've also noticed three extra shells didsapearing. Do I have a crafty digging crab or a problem? Jasper is still under and Oki is still happy. Humidity about 78 and temp about 80-steady on both. Ps:someone is eating the fruit salad and it's not oki :)

Crabber85

Re: Normal digger?

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:34 am

Some hermitcrabs love the surface life and some like the underground better so its completely normal for a crab to do a lot of tunneling and digging and they will use empty spare shells to reinforce molt pockets and tunnel walls making them more secure and less apt to collapse which may be why your seeing so many extra shells disappear I know with my group I have at least twenty spare shells and five or six of them inevitably end up being used in tunnel or molt pocket construction.lol
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
OkiProcoJ

Post by OkiProcoJ » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:24 am

Haha well I'm glad they are just tunneling around. Kinda sucks that I never really get to see them tho :( well happy crab happy momma

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Yeah I can understand the frustration over not getting to see your crabs it's something we have all gone through but after you've had them for a while they may become more comfortable with being out on the surface and less prone to hiding underground but that will take a little time. :crabbigsmile:
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Mkat8221

Post by Mkat8221 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:00 pm

My crabs do this too, Both of them dig for weeks, sometimes months at a time. Not real sure what they're doing under there but I hardly ever see them unless I'm cleaning the tank up

me n my hermikids

Post by me n my hermikids » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:20 pm

They are on safari :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Topic author
OkiProcoJ

Post by OkiProcoJ » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:42 am

Lol safari! Yea it like I'm glad I paid a couple hundred dollars on your nice home so you can just dig in the dirt haha I hear them chairing at night though,so atleast I get something :)