Serious Question: How do they poop?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
PixelPlex22

Serious Question: How do they poop?

Post by PixelPlex22 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:14 pm

If the hermits rear end is shoved in a shell how do they poop? I seriously want to know
Last edited by PixelPlex22 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

courtbri

Re: Serious Question: How do they poop?

Post by courtbri » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:20 pm

I'm not sure about the physical facts but I do know they poop a lot.

Crabbing for 2 years-still obsessed! 6 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:24 pm

They have 10 limbs total - two bigger claws, four walking legs, two tiny paddles that hold them in the shell, and yet another pair of tiny little pinchers that are hidden back in the shell. They use these little pinchers to groom, and also to grab their own poop and toss it out of the shell when they defecate.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
PixelPlex22

Post by PixelPlex22 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:27 pm

Lol I scared my big guy today and when he retracted into his shell a little piece of poo was between his shell and purple claw

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:08 pm

Lol Wodesorel I had a vision of this playing out as I read it. I made me laugh thinking about them tossing the poo out. Lol I've been easily amused lately. Pain meds will do that

Crabbing for 2 years-still obsessed! 6 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:51 pm

I've spent many an hour watching a crab de-poop his shell...time well-spent when you're hooked on these little critters :lol: .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:11 pm

What does the poop look like? I don't know if I've seen any at all

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

Mr. Crabby Pants

Post by Mr. Crabby Pants » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:59 pm

It looks a lot like dry fish poop, or a thick thread broken up in sections. If you see some thing near or in your food dishes that looks like chunks of tiny twigs that you don't remember introducing to your tank, it's probably poop.

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:08 am

Mr. Crabby Pants wrote:It looks a lot like dry fish poop, or a thick thread broken up in sections. If you see some thing near or in your food dishes that looks like chunks of tiny twigs that you don't remember introducing to your tank, it's probably poop.
I think I see it EVERYWHERE lol. I have 4 crabs and just set up this new tank for them on Sunday but there's all of this "debris" looking stuff everywhere that I think is poop now because I don't see any of the in the sides of the substrate hahahaha. Good thing I got a scoop coming today :lol:
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:54 pm

If you give them calcium block it comes out white and makes them go a lot. When I had Big Oliver, his poop was huge. I swear it looked like a dog's...just not as big thank goodness.
You've got it all wrong....we are the pets, not them!