Whoo Success! Painted shell to natural shell!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
dayhawk68

Whoo Success! Painted shell to natural shell!

Post by dayhawk68 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm

So I bought three hermit crabs from the pet store and they all came in painted shells. Well tonight the one I isolated in the tank (with half of a 2liter coke bottle to encase him) just changed from his painted shell into his new natural shell. :bigsmile:

The only thing is he is still isolated and I'm not sure if he's going to continue to try to molt (he looks a bit redder) or if he can roam around. The other crab in the tank Geh keeps going down then up and then down again. Pretty sure he only goes down when it gets a bit chiller. Still not totally sure.

Then Pangxie is still isolated in a separate tank (not that big though). And she's stayed up for at least two nights. I'm not sure to bring her back to the crabitat. She's the more sluggish out of the three. Maybe she needs more time to distress?

Also, they had honey for the first time last night! They really loved it! All of it was gone when I came back to check up on them. :cheer:
3 PPs. Pangxie (female). KaniKama (unsure). Jageun Ge or Geh(Male).

Topic author
dayhawk68

Re: Whoo Success! Painted shell to natural shell!

Post by dayhawk68 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:51 pm

Update: All three are in the tank and Kanikama switched shells again. He is now in an all pearl shell. Wish the other two would come out of their painted shells. Oh well. 1 down 2 to go. :crabbigsmile:
3 PPs. Pangxie (female). KaniKama (unsure). Jageun Ge or Geh(Male).

marandashermies

Re: Whoo Success! Painted shell to natural shell!

Post by marandashermies » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:32 pm

Yay!! Always great to see a crab leave the painted shell in the dust..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1