What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

kieagcarm

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by kieagcarm » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:42 pm

I was able to determine Dixon is absolutely a male, so he is the only male I have. I've noticed him squeezing into the cholla with a different female every night. He is playing the field...lol. on a different note, all my crabs have gotten over their fear of heights, I snagged a pic of penny in the shell shop and after looking thru all of them I noticed Dixon was hanging on fish net too. It's a big day in my tank, they also are getting their first whole crawfish claw! I tried to break it but man is it hard, I hope the crabs can get into it. If not I'll take a hammer to the rest of the crawfish.

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
ImageImage
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:50 pm

Looks like happy hermies to me!! U did a great job, Kieagcarm:) Especially with everything u went through to get the tank stable! Spoiled crabs getting crawfish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visual

Post by Visual » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Bob, bob the builder. Lol Image my kids and their crab names.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sometimes there's fire, sometimes there's rain
www.loverochambeau.com

Visual

Post by Visual » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Ooh and I finally found someone tunneling in the new tank! I think it's Tiny.

Sometimes there's fire, sometimes there's rain
www.loverochambeau.com

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Yay! I remember when it was yeti! I think? Hahahaha. But these crabs are soooo goofy! Mine love being up hi!

Came home to RoxSand again ripping everything down and pulling the coco matting down. Image that whole side is a mess!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:42 pm

Man, so many good pics today! I need to get my tank out into a brighter spot, my pictures are all miserable. Bah.

But here's Harry hanging from the lid, over top of Luis - who seems less inclined to escape today (... thank you Luis, and just so you know, you little crustacious creep, if I had found you outside of the tank again, I was going to hang a sign on you that said, 'I chewed my way out of the only safe place in the house... three times.')

I wanted to get a picture of Luis in a blue-grey Mexican turbo she'd changed into, but when I went back with my camera, she'd switched into an old one again. Sorry. :roll:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

hermitharbor

What are your crabs up to?

Post by hermitharbor » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:42 am

Here are some fun pictures of the kids lately :)

Right after she came up from her most recent molt, still a sandy girl! :)

This little one came up SUPER dark! She was previously a lighter shade of brown with red highlights (typical PP coloring) and then she came up dark purple!

Follow me on my crab blog! Hermit Harbor

The 6 PPs of The Harbor: Ama (♀), Nora (♀), Neptune (♂), Lir (♂), Allie (♀), Bongo (♂)
The 2 E's of The Fiefdom: Nami (♀), Unnamed (♀)

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:35 am

LadyJinglyJones, too funny about Luis and putting the sign on him !! DressageQueen, what beautiful pics! Looks professional! And what are those green hanging vines in the tat? I would love to get some:)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:31 am

Visual wrote:Image
Bob, bob the builder. Lol Image my kids and their crab names.

Visual, great picture of Bob, but it looks like your plant is getting munched on. You might want to remove it. Image

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:34 am

Great pictures everyone! My crabbies are so wild! Everytime I walk in the room they run for cover! Lol. The only time I get to see them is if I go in at night with the moon light to see them, or if I'm in there all day. Now that my desk is no longer in the room it's hard. Thanks for sharing!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

he-man

Post by he-man » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Ryry wrote:Lol I want five guys now too. No joke
Now I want Five Guys too!!! :hlol:
my mom takes care of my crabs now cause im planning college B)

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:45 am

Desirae327 wrote:I have a PP who loves to hang on the vines in the tank and sleeps there during the day. And then an E who loves to scratch at the front glass of the tank, walking from right to left and vice versa and doing this ALL. NIGHT. I haven't quite figured out if the thinks he will find a way out or what. But he'll even dig a little trench against the front glass I guess from walking back and forth so much.

My crab Harry does this... last night he trashed the front end of the tank. The was a trench 4" deep all across the front. The thermostat was half buried. And (somehow?) the fw pool was almost empty and full of shells. It was like a tiny hurricane had ripped through the tat. :shock:
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:11 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:
Desirae327 wrote:I have a PP who loves to hang on the vines in the tank and sleeps there during the day. And then an E who loves to scratch at the front glass of the tank, walking from right to left and vice versa and doing this ALL. NIGHT. I haven't quite figured out if the thinks he will find a way out or what. But he'll even dig a little trench against the front glass I guess from walking back and forth so much.

My crab Harry does this... last night he trashed the front end of the tank. The was a trench 4" deep all across the front. The thermostat was half buried. And (somehow?) the fw pool was almost empty and full of shells. It was like a tiny hurricane had ripped through the tat. :shock:
You both need hamster wheels Image. Crabbies walk miles in the wild! Give them the exercise they want. I think I'm at the point that I need to add more wheels. I have multiple crabs on the wheels at the same time!

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:32 pm

GotButterflies wrote: You both need hamster wheels Image. Crabbies walk miles in the wild! Give them the exercise they want. I think I'm at the point that I need to add more wheels. I have multiple crabs on the wheels at the same time!
I know... Ive been thinking about that a lot. But I really need to get the kids a bigger tat... ten gal. is just too small now. :| It was honestly too small as soon as they molted. I'm trying to decide whether to build another short term tote for them... or what.

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:32 pm

It's quiet in our tankCapt. Jack is still down, now Peanut has dug back down. Went down about 3 days ago....
Perfect time to get the 20gal long set up & ready!!