Crab changes shells several times even in a day

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Muffincrab

Re: Crab changes shells several times even in a day

Post by Muffincrab » Sun May 06, 2012 10:11 pm

I clean out my shells, put them back into the tank in a clean area. In the morning the shells have been moved around, and some are even half buried sometimes. Maybe mine likes them covered in sand.

Dwable changed shells for the 1st time, picking a spikey one, of which I joking refer to as Dwable: Attack Mode with my friends. :lol: He's already gone back to his original, though.
Proud owner of two precious PPs: Dweeble and Dwable.

whatthemath

Re: Crab changes shells several times even in a day

Post by whatthemath » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Yeah I had no idea that they likes a certain type of shell at first! My shell shop... well. I have two. I have one in a shower caddy made to hold soap. It came with suction cups attached and I stuck them to the side of the tank up by the vines and just set some shells in there so they could climb up there and shop. But they seemed to go untouched, so I put a plastic lid on the sand and set a bunch more shells in there. They also usually seem to go untouched. :c I guess my hermies like their shells.
"Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." - Dalai Lama