What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Kermie16

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Well, Kelp (our smallest hermie) came up from her molt a couple of days ago. She was down for about 3
Months. I really thought she would be down longer since she is a small medium size. I'm glad she survived her molt but she came up without her big pincher :/ I am feeling a little guilty - must be a hermies parent thing. Hoping she will go down for another molt soon and grow it back. Giving her lots of organic peanut butter, protein and organic raw honey to help give her some healing energy:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kellie

Post by Kellie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:24 am

My babies are doing wonderfully!
Their distinct personalities have come out!
Rio is a super scardy cat who picks super large shells for her size, and the second I show her face she goes deep into her shell!
Wolf, on the other hand is super curious, and will actually move towards me and scratch the glass, he has also explored the top of the cage by climbing upside down on the lid -_- lol.

Gave them about 6 new shells from Naples and they both changed! Rio went much larger, and now her shell is about 2x the size a crab her size would normally pick (she's so odd!!) and Wolf upgraded to a slightly larger shell than his last, a very reasonable size for him though!

They've been digging and rearranging the new crabitat, and spend a lot of time at the top of one of the logs together!

broke669

Post by broke669 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:18 pm

my two pp are doing good today. one is down molting, for 16 days now. its his first molt with me, so i have no idea how long he's gonna be down. i'm just stuck watching and waiting.
my other little crab is in an iso tank right now. i got him right before my molter went down, so i didnt have a chance to add him to the main tank. i dont wanna do that til the molter is above ground, cuz i dont want him to be potentially disturbed by the new guy.
anyway, the new little guy gave me such a fright the other day. i was cleaning around his tank and removing and adding some shells, before i realized that i couldnt find him. i searched all the shells and couldnt see him in any of them at all. i was so afraid to accidentally misplace him, so i put in all his old shells back into the tank, along with all the new ones too, creating a jumbled mess of shells all over the place. had to go to work then, and was worried sick all shift cuz i didnt know where the little guy could be. got home and checked the tank imediately, only to see him sitting by his fw dish. dont know how he managed to hide in his shell that night so well! couldnt see any legs or claws at all!

Vanellope

Post by Vanellope » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:27 am

They have been doing this for 3 hours! Just doing laps around the perimeter of the lid. Giraffe has stayed directly behind Caterpillar the entire time. Caterpillar has attempted to cut through the middle a few times, or slow down or stop entirely, and when he does, Giraffe moves in closer and then nudges him with his claw. And every time, Caterpillar immediately goes back to doing laps. It's as if Giraffe is making Caterpillar do it. I don't know if he's enforcing some kind of punishment for something (Caterpillar did empty his shell into the food dish right after I set it down Image ) ? Or maybe Caterpillar is preparing for a marathon and Giraffe is his trainer? Maybe Caterpillar lost a bet. Or they're just playing The Ground is Lava again. What do you think is happening?
(Not the greatest shot, but that's the best I could do through the glass in the dark, since obviously I couldn't open the lid to get it!)Image

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Hoomans roole.

he-man

Post by he-man » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:00 pm

NeWbE123 wrote:ImageImage. Woke up today with both of my babies wide awake and ready to go. I let them crawl around my vanity (in a box) for a while while I got ready for school. I think my little mischievous looks so sassy in her new shell. ImageImage

Adorable crabs! Do you have a lot of natural shells for them to change into? If so, I hope your hermie in the painted shell changes soon. I would recommend not taking your crabs out a lot because it can stress them out. Good luck with school! :D
my mom takes care of my crabs now cause im planning college B)

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:33 am

LOL The Ground is Lava is definitely what they are playing!

NeWbE123

Post by NeWbE123 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:25 am

Honeycloud6744 wrote:
NeWbE123 wrote:ImageImage. Woke up today with both of my babies wide awake and ready to go. I let them crawl around my vanity (in a box) for a while while I got ready for school. I think my little mischievous looks so sassy in her new shell. ImageImage

Adorable crabs! Do you have a lot of natural shells for them to change into? If so, I hope your hermie in the painted shell changes soon. I would recommend not taking your crabs out a lot because it can stress them out. Good luck with school! :D
Yes I have 5 for each of them. I covered in a different topic that I think the one in the painted shell is blind in one or both eyes so I think he's having a little trouble finding the shells. I hoping he changes soon too.

Mischievous, vincent and newest baby Hercules

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:13 am

Lephantome92 wrote:Turns out two of my straws really like organic peanut butter. They're practically taking turns lording over the dish enjoying it
Have to try this! In the years I've been crabbing i still haven't tried peanut butter or popcorn! Maybe it will pull my straws up from their molt lol!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

he-man

Post by he-man » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:12 pm

NeWbE123 wrote:
Honeycloud6744 wrote:

Yes I have 5 for each of them. I covered in a different topic that I think the one in the painted shell is blind in one or both eyes so I think he's having a little trouble finding the shells. I hoping he changes soon too.

That's great! Maybe he might regain his sight after a couple of molts, but i could be wrong. Good luck with craboos!
my mom takes care of my crabs now cause im planning college B)

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:56 am

Swinging from the monkey fist and she'll shopping like crazy, I'm going to need to find these Es some more shells soonImageImage

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:04 am

I've got 6 up and 1 down. 1 on the wheel, 3 at the food dishes and 2 chillin' in the shell shop. 1 down molting for the past 3 months...this has been my longest molt so far. I hope she'll be up soon!
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:29 am

Dear Crabs,

Remember when I was so considerate and bought you a pinky mouse for dinner?

And remember how I was so busy with moving and family matters and work that I didn't have a chance to check on you guys for about 30 hours?

Do you also remember how you dragged what was left of the pinky into the fresh water bowl?

Well, I just wanted to let you guys know how great that was, and how much I really enjoyed cleaning it up. My favourite part was probably when I had to handle the gooey airstone to get it off its tubing for replacement.

So, thanks friends! You guys are the best! At no point in that process did I consider letting my partner boil & eat you, like he's always threatening to do. Because you guys are so considerate all the time!

Yours truly,

LJJ

[Images redacted] :|
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:38 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Dear Crabs,

Remember when I was so considerate and bought you a pinky mouse for dinner?

And remember how I was so busy with moving and family matters and work that I didn't have a chance to check on you guys for about 30 hours?

Do you also remember how you dragged what was left of the pinky into the fresh water bowl?

Well, I just wanted to let you guys know how great that was, and how much I really enjoyed cleaning it up. My favourite part was probably when I had to handle the gooey airstone to get it off its tubing for replacement.

So, thanks friends! You guys are the best! At no point in that process did I consider letting my partner boil & eat you, like he's always threatening to do. Because you guys are so considerate all the time!

Yours truly,

LJJ

[Images redacted] :|

:hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol:
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:39 pm

I am snorting in trader Joes over that! Hahahahaha. Oh my crabbie gods that's funny.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:08 pm