What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Just Jay

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by Just Jay » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:20 pm

RoxSand will not leave Eugene alone! She practically chases him around the tank. Sometimes I catch her on his shell! I'm always scared it's her being aggressive but she's never holding it or making noise. I know i need more shells as three have moved in the same size range. She seems more interested in being exactly where he is when he's right there over his or anyone's shell; thankfully. I have caught her climbing on or over some of the girls as well. But poor Eugene got crabby back handed last night off one of the new raised food dishes. RoxSand didn't even eat. Just didn't want him too. I've upped the protein and calcium in their daily meals. She's usually this crabby before a molt. I do hope she goes under or just calms down a bit.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:23 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Dear Crabs,

Remember when I was so considerate and bought you a pinky mouse for dinner?

And remember how I was so busy with moving and family matters and work that I didn't have a chance to check on you guys for about 30 hours?

Do you also remember how you dragged what was left of the pinky into the fresh water bowl?

Well, I just wanted to let you guys know how great that was, and how much I really enjoyed cleaning it up. My favourite part was probably when I had to handle the gooey airstone to get it off its tubing for replacement.

So, thanks friends! You guys are the best! At no point in that process did I consider letting my partner boil & eat you, like he's always threatening to do. Because you guys are so considerate all the time!

Yours truly,

LJJ

[Images redacted] :|
Haha crabs r jerks

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:49 am

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Haha crabs r jerks
I mean, RIGHT?!
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:54 am

Just Jay wrote:RoxSand will not leave Eugene alone! She practically chases him around the tank. Sometimes I catch her on his shell! I'm always scared it's her being aggressive but she's never holding it or making noise. I know i need more shells as three have moved in the same size range. She seems more interested in being exactly where he is when he's right there over his or anyone's shell; thankfully. I have caught her climbing on or over some of the girls as well. But poor Eugene got crabby back handed last night off one of the new raised food dishes. RoxSand didn't even eat. Just didn't want him too. I've upped the protein and calcium in their daily meals. She's usually this crabby before a molt. I do hope she goes under or just calms down a bit.

It sounds like dominance displays. If you set up several food dishes at opposite ends of the tank she can't guard them all, an it should give poor Eugene a fighting chance at some decent grub. Maybe set up a super prime hide, like a really sweet spot... once the others discover it she might feel the need to kick them out & give Eugene a bit of a rest?

Poor little guy.
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:09 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:
Just Jay wrote:RoxSand will not leave Eugene alone! She practically chases him around the tank. Sometimes I catch her on his shell! I'm always scared it's her being aggressive but she's never holding it or making noise. I know i need more shells as three have moved in the same size range. She seems more interested in being exactly where he is when he's right there over his or anyone's shell; thankfully. I have caught her climbing on or over some of the girls as well. But poor Eugene got crabby back handed last night off one of the new raised food dishes. RoxSand didn't even eat. Just didn't want him too. I've upped the protein and calcium in their daily meals. She's usually this crabby before a molt. I do hope she goes under or just calms down a bit.

It sounds like dominance displays. If you set up several food dishes at opposite ends of the tank she can't guard them all, an it should give poor Eugene a fighting chance at some decent grub. Maybe set up a super prime hide, like a really sweet spot... once the others discover it she might feel the need to kick them out & give Eugene a bit of a rest?

Poor little guy.
Oooh good idea. The funny thing is too he is now my largest size crab. Just very shy and sweet [new rescue so he's adjusting]. I raised all my food dishes up high since he's a climber and added some dried whole fish. I might try to fit in another floor dish if I can. Thank you for the advice! Happy to have an idea what bossy RoxSand is doing and why.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:38 pm

just another example of crabs bein selfish jerks! ;)

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:22 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:

just another example of crabs bein selfish jerks! ;)
Hahaha she is a bossy little thing!

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:59 am

So my most gregarious crabbie Eugene is currently being a total weirdo! He somehow climbed on top of the wheel and is in between the glass and the mesh on the top side of the wheel turning it around from the out side while holding himself up against the glass and his shell rubbing on the glass is making an awful squeak lol. he often does this from the bottom with his shell upside down in the sub legs sticking up and turns it. Guess he's bored of walking it from the inside lol.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

he-man

Post by he-man » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 am

My crabs used always climb the mesh lid that I had on their old 20 gallon. It made it kind of hard to crab! :hlol:
my mom takes care of my crabs now cause im planning college B)

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:09 pm

Happyhermiehome wrote:So my most gregarious crabbie Eugene is currently being a total weirdo! He somehow climbed on top of the wheel and is in between the glass and the mesh on the top side of the wheel turning it around from the out side while holding himself up against the glass and his shell rubbing on the glass is making an awful squeak lol. he often does this from the bottom with his shell upside down in the sub legs sticking up and turns it. Guess he's bored of walking it from the inside lol.
So weird. :smt104

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:49 am

Waving their legs wildly against the glass and eating little itty bitty bits of sub and ignoring the fancy spread i spent 20 minutes picking out for them. Im glad my sub meets the exacting crab standards tho ;)

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:46 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:

Poor little guy.
Our Mike (RIP) used to be such a good bully. When any of the other crabs would try to get some food, he would stretch his legs and hold on to the edges of the food dish and if they got too close, he would “back claw” them lol! I had to do the same, make several food dishes scattered around the tank. I also put one on top of a magnatural so there were extra snacks when they climbed:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:47 pm

I currently have petsand. The Marties (our zebra isopods) are LOVING IT! Lol! They have multiplied like crazy and are taking over the tank.

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:30 pm

On another note, I'm getting a hedgehog next week!!!!

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:30 pm

I'm actually still wishing for pet sand!! Jack needs to molt so he can grow his big claw back.

I think I'm gonna have to go in & check on Peanut...