What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Kermie16

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:11 am

Found Mini Pinch came up from his molt :):)
Yay for no more petsand! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:52 am

That is too cute!!

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:54 am

Giner13 wrote:That is too cute!!

thank you:)

he-man

Post by he-man » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Kermie16 wrote:Found Mini Pinch came up from his molt :):)

Congrats! How are your other hermies doing?
my mom takes care of my crabs now cause im planning college B)

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Honeycloud6744 wrote:

Congrats! How are your other hermies doing?
Thank you! Not sure about the other 2. Our largest, Clare, went down to molt about 3 months ago and our smallest, Kelp, initially came up without a big puncher but went back down about a month ago so hopefully he is down there growing a new pincher :)

aprilmay

Post by aprilmay » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:57 am

About a week ago, watermelon finally figured out the hamster wheel! Often "walking" it an hour at a time, upside down! He is doing that right now!
half an hour ago, watermelon was walking the other direction.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 am

aprilmay wrote:About a week ago, watermelon finally figured out the hamster wheel! Often "walking" it an hour at a time, upside down! He is doing that right now!
half an hour ago, watermelon was walking the other direction.
Hilarious!! :hlol: Silly crab!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

AndyCrabby

Post by AndyCrabby » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:46 am

Daww he's so cute

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

aprilmay

Post by aprilmay » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:39 am

GotButterflies wrote: Hilarious!! :hlol: Silly crab!!
I know! Right? i'm just glad the wheel are getting good use finally! Watermelon occasionally does walk inside of the wheel the normal way. but maybe because he is so small, the wheel often stays still until he climbs to the highest point then it would do this really fast roller coster spin to drop him back down. initially he would climb from the outside of the wheel all the way to the top and then just got spin off to the pool or the sand when the wheel does the roller coster spin.

now he finally figured out this up-side-down climb that gives him more control and smaller motion. i've seen him sometimes wedged his shell between the pool and the spare shell and just lying there and spin the wheel like an acrobat. funny!

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:17 pm

AndyCrabby wrote:

Daww he's so cute

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thank you! ^_^

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:53 am

lol I have a crab that does this too. Sometimes he somehow manages to make it on top of the wheel for a few triumphant seconds defore being flung off :hlol:
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

aprilmay

Post by aprilmay » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 am

Happyhermiehome wrote:lol I have a crab that does this too. Sometimes he somehow manages to make it on top of the wheel for a few triumphant seconds defore being flung off :hlol:
hahaha, exactly! they are such expert climbers! it looks like they totally love a challenge, any hard to climb surface will pique their interests. any hard to maneuver climbing structure they will treat it like a difficult climbing problem, and they will try it again and again until they figure out how to get over it. i so love watching them climb. :laugh:: :laugh:: :laugh::

broke669

Post by broke669 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:19 pm

so today i cleaned the walls of the tat, just so i can see into it without lifting up the lid all the time. and now my pp seems intent on mucking them all up again. leaving sandy dirty leg and claw marks all over the glass, all the while making a lovely (irritating!) scratching noise, not unlike nails on a chalkboard. gotta luv it! lol

he-man

Post by he-man » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:59 am

broke669 wrote:so today i cleaned the walls of the tat, just so i can see into it without lifting up the lid all the time. and now my pp seems intent on mucking them all up again. leaving sandy dirty leg and claw marks all over the glass, all the while making a lovely (irritating!) scratching noise, not unlike nails on a chalkboard. gotta luv it! lol
Hahaha! Sometimes crabs just want to mess up the tat. Mine have always have their sand a quicksand consistency! :lol:
my mom takes care of my crabs now cause im planning college B)

aprilmay

Post by aprilmay » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:10 pm

mid last week i noticed water level of both my pools dropped by an inch! i was puzzled! how did the evaporation turned so rapid? it hasn't been that warm lately either. Both my pools are square glass jars so leaking is unlikely.

when i took the pools out for water change yesterday i noticed there were like ~1.5" of water sitting in the outside container of the pools! thank goodness i had the nested setup! otherwise it would have totally flooded my sub! As i was cleaning up the water from the outside container, i tried to figure out how the water got in there from the pools. The only conclusion i could come up with was watermelon had fallen into both pools multiple times from either the wheel or vines/nets above the pools, so the water was splashed into the outside container. now i have to wonder whether he was doing those jumps on purpose... i have to keep a closer look this week!