What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

megmaholm

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by megmaholm » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:32 pm

So...Kelly...you never got me a birthday present, and I'm pretty sure Athena would like my tank and wants to be Biggie's boyfriend... ;)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:45 pm

megmaholm wrote:So...Kelly...you never got me a birthday present, and I'm pretty sure Athena would like my tank and wants to be Biggie's boyfriend... ;)
We're even lol you owe me banana nut muffins. plus I am so confused. Lol SHE can't be Biggie's boyfriend. Lol!
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:47 pm

Ha! Cold meds keep messing with me! Biggie wants to be her boyfriend is what I meant. LOL. I'll trade you muffins for a crab. ;)

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Lol! I love you.

Sydthesquid345

Post by Sydthesquid345 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:40 pm

Filling up the salt water bowl with sand on a daily basis. They dump it out and fill the whole thing up with sand! :lol: they're pretty naughty.

Cydonia1

Post by Cydonia1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:24 pm

Playing with their Christmas presents! One it a "fat" shower caddy filled with ee stuck right where the wall vines end so I don't have anymore crabs clutching onto a leaf with a 6 inch fall into the saltwater pool. Crabby survivor no more! :hlol:

The other shower caddy is now the highest point in the tank, I'm going to go to Micheals and buy one of the little wood ladders because it seems my two E's are the only ones that walk the "tightrope" vine string. It's this one from amazon, ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019Z ... UTF8&psc=1 )
And I DEFIANTLY recommend it! It comes with four suction cups that you stick in these slots by yourself so you can stick it in more ways than one, and it's pretty study. I'm going to leave this one a little EE covered platform instead of adding moss, the sides aren't too low, the floor of the caddy is raised so it'd all fall out.
T
heir other Christmas present is still growing, I got a little puppy shaped chia plant for them!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:31 am

So I know crabs technically can't hear, but they must be able to read minds. I was telling my husband I'm about to take the moss pit out since I never see anyone in it, and then tonight I was doing my normal checks and found a crab in there. Sigh. Now I can't take it out!

I officially can't tell a lot of my crabs apart. :( It makes me a little sad, but at the same time I know they all get equally good care and it doesn't REALLY matter if I can't ID them. There are a few that are pretty obvious, but I have sooo many in the same size range that look similar. When Magnum died a few weeks ago it took me forever to figure out who he was, and now I'm still kind of wondering if it really was him. I like to keep track of molts but I guess it's not meant to be. As long as they're alive, eating, drinking, and have sharp little nails I can be happy enough about that.

I've been working on a teeny 1/2 gallon SW pool for them, and I'm losing motivation. I've been meaning to silicone river rocks/aquarium gravel on the outside of it for ages, and only have one side done. I still need to figure out a ramp that doesn't take up a lot of room, either, since it's such a small pool. That's a project that can wait until this weekend, I guess. My husband is supposed to help me, but we'll see. :roll:

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:09 am

Moss pits FTW. I have 2 moss pits, and there's ALWAYS at least 4 outta 5 crabs in them. I need bigger and deeper mosspits now.
I got over the identity thing. Even with 5 crabs i was losing track. All 3 of my Es looked exactly the same when they got home. I also named them not too awesome names, and would rename them. Each crab had 3-4 names they don't answer to. Plus, my kid isn't old enough to care either.
Easiest ramp: BAM fake plant. BAM slab of egg crate. BAM slab of plastic canvas.
I'm ever the start but don't finish'er. Sometimes ya just gotta simplify. Other times, meh, it can wait

Crabbers unite!!!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:43 am

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:08 am

Time for a daily dose of E cuteness. Houdini is so cute. :) Image

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:54 am

megmaholm wrote:So I know crabs technically can't hear, but they must be able to read minds. I was telling my husband I'm about to take the moss pit out since I never see anyone in it, and then tonight I was doing my normal checks and found a crab in there. Sigh. Now I can't take it out!
I just had the same thing happen! I was telling moonbeam that my big pools seem to never have any action! I was thinking about downsizing so cleaning is easier.... Then over the next 2-3 days I saw a crab in the pool every time I looked! What the heck man! They better really like those big pools!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:47 pm

My hermits somehow tell my 3 year old son that they are hungry. He comes up to me pointing at the tank "hermit crabs very hundry mommy. They need hermit popcorn." And yes, he says hundry instead of hungry. I really love it. Just like neber instead of never.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:00 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:My hermits somehow tell my 3 year old son that they are hungry. He comes up to me pointing at the tank "hermit crabs very hundry mommy. They need hermit popcorn." And yes, he says hundry instead of hungry. I really love it. Just like neber instead of never.
Too cute! Sounds like such a sweet little boy, worried about the crabbies being hundry. :love5:

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:17 pm

One of my biggest crabs Poseidon keeps going back and forth between a land snail shell and a magpie and a white shell of some sort then just the two and not the magpie. I got the shell for free from the pet store when I got Octavius who was in an apple murex. So I went out and convinced my Gma to get me a $10 rotary set so I could make the bigger magpie lighter. So I spent a good 30-60 minutes with a dremel against shell putting pearl bands on it. And a lot of shampoo and dusty clothes later it is done and I hope he likes it!!!

Hermie mommy of 10 PP babies: Octavius Flemming, Poseidon, Bruiser, Junior, Matty Pumpkin, Turbo, Kaylee Frye, Pepper, Flower and Adrian Shephard.
-

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:02 am

My biggest crab, Gregor, is finally up. He molted, yay! Now I need to shell shop...less yay. He's in a 1 1/4" opening banded green turbo at the moment, and his butt is crammed in tight. Unfortunately, that's the biggest shell I have. I'm guessing I need to aim for 1.5", but everywhere I've looked they just give a range of 1.25-1.5" openings. Ugh! Anyone have any tips on where to get some that have more precise measurements? Owning small crabs is so much easier...and cheaper. :lol: