What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

0feelingcrabby0

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by 0feelingcrabby0 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:27 am

So, I think my hermit crab Dobby (sadly died a few months ago) :-( wins the prize for the weirdest. He could not figure out that you can't walk through glass. In his crabitat, he would spend hours throwing himself against the glass. We finally figured out why, and couldn't stop laughing. On the other side of the glass was where we kept the food. It makes me sad to think about....

Cydonia1

Post by Cydonia1 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:50 pm

I ran by the local pet store for crickets and ended up getting 3 ridiculous small crabs. Shell and them standing out size, they're between the size of a dime and a nickel, closer to dime sized. One is in a pretty banded green turbo, he was the firsrt one i saw because of how bold he was, the second one is in the same type of shell as first guy but he has a pinhole in his shell, when he tucks back you can see his eye perfectly!

And the third one I got because I thought that I could just check one more time, I'd assumed I'd gotten all the tinies but the empty painted conch like shell had a occupant. She's the shyest of them all, but I think it's mostly that the rim on her current shell is too big because even when walking her eye stalks still aren't visible.
I put my large Dolphin shell and another pointed spicky bit shell in each of the water bowls for the three musketeers, Little bold man tried to go into the bowl before I got it set up and he was doing little air grabs for some reason while trying to enter the bowl. Holeman took straight off to the dark back of the tank, probably to get some much needed darkness and rest, while Little pink girl is finally exploring, albeit slowly.

rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Can you post pictures? I'd love to see some tiny crabs!

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:41 pm

I agree, tiny crabs are great :D
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Drakezilla

What are your crabs up to?

Post by Drakezilla » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:58 pm

They're so cute!! I saw ones that size and I couldn't believe it!! I'd love to get some someday! You've gotta post pictures!

This is my smallest, Cap:

I'm sure yours are much smaller!
He's since changed out of that into a nice tapestry turbo ~
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Drakezilla wrote:They're so cute!! I saw ones that size and I couldn't believe it!! I'd love to get some someday! You've gotta post pictures!

This is my smallest, Cap:

I'm sure yours are much smaller!
He's since changed out of that into a nice tapestry turbo ~
Awwwww!!!
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:12 pm

megmaholm wrote:My biggest crab, Gregor, is finally up. He molted, yay! Now I need to shell shop...less yay. He's in a 1 1/4" opening banded green turbo at the moment, and his butt is crammed in tight. Unfortunately, that's the biggest shell I have. I'm guessing I need to aim for 1.5", but everywhere I've looked they just give a range of 1.25-1.5" openings. Ugh! Anyone have any tips on where to get some that have more precise measurements? Owning small crabs is so much easier...and cheaper. :lol:
Have you checked out deltona? You can get some pretty good sizes for a good price- and if u order a bunch you have a better chance of getting some in the correct size. You can also send them an additional message during check out and tell them these are for hermit crabs and if possible you need measurements as close to or above 1.5". I have always had good luck ordering from them!

Also I just changed out my shell selection and I noticed that everyone seems to be doing a shell swap! Woot woot! I take what action I can get!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:35 pm

Ryry wrote: Have you checked out deltona? You can get some pretty good sizes for a good price- and if u order a bunch you have a better chance of getting some in the correct size. You can also send them an additional message during check out and tell them these are for hermit crabs and if possible you need measurements as close to or above 1.5". I have always had good luck ordering from them!

Also I just changed out my shell selection and I noticed that everyone seems to be doing a shell swap! Woot woot! I take what action I can get!
I had looked before but hadn't talked with anyone who had ordered from them. Thanks for the suggestion! With the price of the bigger shells I can't afford to offer a bunch, but if they're willing to ensure I get 1.5" openings I'll give them a shot. They even have a 20% off and shipping isn't ridiculous. Yay!
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:52 pm

megmaholm wrote: I had looked before but hadn't talked with anyone who had ordered from them. Thanks for the suggestion! With the price of the bigger shells I can't afford to offer a bunch, but if they're willing to ensure I get 1.5" openings I'll give them a shot. They even have a 20% off and shipping isn't ridiculous. Yay!
http://deltonaseashells.com/inc/sdetail/157/270036

Check this link. This particular shell is 2.5-3" and they are $1.75/ shell Image that's before the 20% off. Usually the opening is 1/2 the length (ish) so the opening should be 1.25-1.5" and you can request that they send you bigger ones. Sorry if I got carried away lol!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Haha I appreciate it! There's no such things as getting carried away with shells ;) I just placed an order for 3 of these since it said the opening was 1.5", 3 of these and then 1 of these since..well..he may be a serious overachiever and need something giant. Or will need it eventually! I put in the notes that I ordered them for hermit crabs and really need a minimum of 1.5" openings so I'm crossing my fingers. I'm a serious shell hoarder, I just don't have a lot of big ones. Total was less than $30 after shipping so I'm pretty happy. If everything is as awesome as I expect, I'll do an even bigger order when I can sweet talk my hubby into it.

aldebaron0626

Post by aldebaron0626 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:37 pm

My smaller E Buzz is climb crazy. I find him climbing everything, like the bubbler tubing. I also catch him just emerging from the SW pool all the time. I serve their food in eggshells and caught him in the shell pigging out on coconut. Im glad he's so entertaining because I never see my other two. One is destressing/molting from recent adoption and the other is painfully shy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby Mommy since 8/13/14
2Es Buzz and Bullseye and 3PPs Woody (adp 12/10/14), Jessie (adp 1/20/15) and Mick (1/26/15)
Coming in March: Rex (PP) and Bo Peep (E)

Cydonia1

Post by Cydonia1 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:07 pm

I'm going to make an effort to get pictures today, little boldman is the only one I've seen this morning. I wanna do a size comparison with my "normals"!

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Lulu is finally up from his molt :D biscuit isn't lonely anymore
Every time a crab comes up from a molt the size difference surprises me
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:49 pm

So it's been a while since I've posted Image Since Christmas, Deacon finally came up and I got to tear down the old tote! Thumbelina somehow squeezed a molt in sometime during December and surprised me with an almost normal leg (when I bought her she was missing a leg, she grew back this tiny red dwarf leg the first molt, now it's thicker and more orange), Madison finally came up from her molt last night and I adopted a new little guy today ImageImage I'm totally cheesin!

Now for pictures (you guys know I can't resist)
Newly molted Deacon (he's camera shy plus they don't do him justice) He's this beautiful dusty blue color, so handsome.
ImageImage
Thumbelina after her first molt
After her second molt, lovin the new leg. Image
Thumbelina and Deacon making friendsImage
Madison (also camera shy, right now she's even more shy ughhh) Image
And finally the new adoptee, no name yet ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ETA: New guy's name is Wilson (from the movie Castaway lol)
Last edited by moonbeam on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Moonbeam, you slacker, where have you been?! ;) Deacon and Thumbelina look great. Congrats on the adoptee, he looks like he's in good shape!